Sheffield Forum

Who are the Don Valley Railway?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

13-02-2005, 21:09   #1
Avalon

Total Posts: 1,935
Hi all

I have heard the name "Don Valley Railway" bounded about a lot recently. Does anyone know who they are and what they do???

Cheers!

A =)
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.
13-02-2005, 22:53   #2
Internetowl
Forum Muppet

Total Posts: 3,316
A bunch of train spotting loonies at Stocksbridge who want to turn the train line into a tourist venture...
13-02-2005, 23:17   #3
Avalon

Train spotting loonies?

What is wrong with turning a railway line into a tourist venture?
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.
13-02-2005, 23:25   #4
muddycoffee
Chav Catcher

Total Posts: 9,284
They have a nice idea, but I don't think they will ever have the finances or the influence to pull it off.

They are wanting to establish commuter trains between Deepcar and town on the existing and underused line. And restore old stations along the way, and run occasional steam engines.

http://www.donvalleyrailway.org/
_______
All my websites have now been deleted due to rising costs and lack of time to maintain them.
14-02-2005, 00:05   #5
tara

Total Posts: 1,851
Surely a venture like this would create job opportunities abound.
And steam trains you say, wouldn't that bring the tourists in.
It would be a great shame if they can't get financial backing
for this.
Mind you , didnt the North yorkshire moors railway start off with nothing, and look at it now.
14-02-2005, 00:08   #6
Avalon

Quote:
Originally posted by tara
Surely a venture like this would create job opportunities abound.
And steam trains you say, wouldn't that bring the tourists in.
It would be a great shame if they can't get financial backing
for this.
Mind you , didnt the North yorkshire moors railway start off with nothing, and look at it now.
Yeah, i thought that NYMR started with not much more than two pennies to rub together!?

From the website I can see the potential for job opportunities, and tourists cant be a bad thing for Stocksbridge!?
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.
14-02-2005, 00:16   #7
beansforyou
Warped

Total Posts: 5,688
I think it would be a great idea, not only for the reasons already mentioned, but have you ever tried using the main road into Sheffield from Stocksbridge, especially at rush hour?

More and more houses are being thrown up

No thought is going into the logistics of getting people from A to B

Maybe they could also teach the few hundred more children living in this area whilst being on the train too? as no extra schools are being built.
14-02-2005, 00:20   #8
Avalon

Quote:
Originally posted by beansforyou
I think it would be a great idea, not only for the reasons already mentioned, but have you ever tried using the main road into Sheffield from Stocksbridge, especially at rush hour?

More and more houses are being thrown up

No thought is going into the logistics of getting people from A to B

Maybe they could also teach the few hundred more children living in this area whilst being on the train too? as no extra schools are being built.
Yeah, more houses, same road....makes no sense really?
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.

Last edited by Avalon; 14-02-2005 at 00:26.
14-02-2005, 17:08   #9
Avalon

Well that killed the conversation....
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.
14-02-2005, 17:23   #10
Skatiechik

Total Posts: 2,336
Quote:
Originally posted by Internetowl
A bunch of train spotting loonies at Stocksbridge who want to turn the train line into a tourist venture...
Can I ask what your hobby is? Lets assume it is X. Then I can make a comment such as "People who enjoy 'X' are a bunch of loonies and deserved to be locked up'

All because you don't share the same enthusiasm for someones hobby, it doesn't make them a loony. Infact it makes you ignorant for not being able to respect that the person has a passion for something.

The trainline from Stocksbridge to Sheffield is a fantastic idea, the road is always busy especially as you get into middlewood, and taking the bus isn't the most fantastic form of public transport.
14-02-2005, 17:28   #11
Avalon

Quote:
Originally posted by Skatiechik
Can I ask what your hobby is? Lets assume it is X. Then I can make a comment such as "People who enjoy 'X' are a bunch of loonies and deserved to be locked up'

All because you don't share the same enthusiasm for someones hobby, it doesn't make them a loony. Infact it makes you ignorant for not being able to respect that the person has a passion for something.

The trainline from Stocksbridge to Sheffield is a fantastic idea, the road is always busy especially as you get into middlewood, and taking the bus isn't the most fantastic form of public transport.
Well said Skatiechik
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.
14-02-2005, 18:22   #12
Internetowl
Forum Muppet

yawn - well said - its never going to be a goer - if there was any mileage in it the rail companies would still be sending trains that way - as they are not - its fair to say its probably not viable...even with the Thomas the Tank engine pulling from the front..

Check out their website and then convince me otherwise....
14-02-2005, 18:25   #13
Internetowl
Forum Muppet

Upcoming Events - for those interested...

April 9th 2005 - Stocksbridge Library 10am-2pm

Come along and talk to us at our Open day at Stocksbridge Library on April 9th. See our plans and talk to the committee. There will be a table-top sale and a free raffle.

19th June 2005 - Deepcar Gala

3rd July 2005 - Midhope Gala

We will be at both of these events publicising our plans. It is a great opportunity for you to come and support us!

Going full 'steam' ahead I see
14-02-2005, 18:39   #14
Avalon

Quote:
yawn - well said - its never going to be a goer - if there was any mileage in it the rail companies would still be sending trains that way - as they are not - its fair to say its probably not viable...even with the Thomas the Tank engine pulling from the front..

Check out their website and then convince me otherwise....
You really do have some kind of problem dont you?
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.
14-02-2005, 20:21   #15
silverknight

Total Posts: 1,396
If was not for dedicated volunteers donating their time, alot of services and charities we have today would not be here today.So we would be a much poorer society without their help. Several closed railway lines around the UK have been restored with voluntary help. North Yorkshire moors Railway,North Norfolk Railway, Wensleysdale Railway to name 3.
14-02-2005, 21:25   #16
tara

Total Posts: 1,851
Well internet owl, to say you think they're a bunch of loonies,
youve took the trouble to visit their site and seem to know all the info on forthcoming events etc.
now why would you do that. ?
14-02-2005, 22:48   #17
chill

Total Posts: 335
Quote:
...if there was any mileage in it the rail companies would still be sending trains that way - as they are not - its fair to say its probably not viable...
Not necessarily, these guys are a not-for-profit organisation whose interest is based on their own passions. Railway companies are <i>only</i> interested in making profit.
_______
Chris Hill
15-02-2005, 13:42   #18
alchresearch

Total Posts: 30,795
Send a message via Yahoo to alchresearch
This 'private' railway is extremely popular and gets vistors from all over the country.

http://www.east-lancs-rly.co.uk/index2.php

Ignore morons like Internetowl. I'm sure he prefers a derelict railway than an attraction bringing tourists to Sheffield.
15-02-2005, 18:13   #19
Avalon

For those interested they have just updated thier website...aparently they have got 400 signatures on a petition to re-open the line.....www.donvalleyrailway.org
_______
Bouncing sheep are fun.
15-02-2005, 20:46   #20
NavyMan2

Total Posts: 1
Quote:
Just to add to the talk about the aspirations of the DVR, can I say that a group that includes retired senior civil servants, transport consultants, engineers, businessmen and has a local MP as President should be described as a bunch of train spotting loonies. Their plans are realistic and it is a shame that such groups that are trying to do something positive for their local communities should be dismissed so disrespectfully. But then, thatís easy to do isnít it?
Reply To Topic