Pubs on Park Hill/Hyde Park/Kelvin

Saw a repeat of 'Britains Toughest Pubs' a few weeks ago, which had the 'Parkway Tavern' on Park Hill as one of the pubs. Looked like there were a few characters in there! :D

Anyway, it got me thinking, were there other pubs on Hyde Park/Parkhill/Kelvin or is the Parkway Tavern just a one off?

Strange thread I know, but I'm quite curious and people on here will deffo have the answers!

The Crows Nest on the Hyde Park, (my mum worked in there for a while)

There was one at the end of Hyde Park Walk, just behind Hyde Park Terrace. It had a beer garden (albeit entirely composed of concrete) that was very popular in the summer. Can't remember what it was called though.

The Link on Park Hill had some colourfull characters.

Was it the Target?

That name's not ringing any bells. I think it might have been something to do with a queen. Could be mistaken. Better go and have a Google...

I think the target was on the tall block, (on the greyhound stadium side), and there was a Plimsoll pub on the small block. What was the pub called on the Pavement (Park Hill)?

Jayne

There was one at the end of Hyde Park Walk, just behind Hyde Park Terrace. It had a beer garden (albeit entirely composed of concrete) that was very popular in the summer. Can't remember what it was called though.

I can't find any reference to it using my - admittedly rubbish - Googling skills. 'The Scottish Queen' springs to mind, though that could be another Hyde Park/Park Hill pub.

on kelvin we had the gatefield and the halfpenny,decent enough pubs in their time,just because it was kelvin flats people from outside the area thought the pubs were full of trouble but they were wrong,you could get to them in the winter or rain without getting wet,on a summer night you could have a walk round the gatefield,george the forth,over to the halfpenny,accross to the upperthorpe hotel,then the scarbro'arms,turn left and call in the office or the club,and all within ten minutes of home

On Park Hill there was the Link, the Earl George, Scottish Queen and Parkway Tavern, all of them shut now AFAIK. The one on the end of Hyde Park was the Earl Francis, dunno if thats still there.

On Park Hill there was the Link, the Earl George, Scottish Queen and Parkway Tavern, all of them shut now AFAIK. The one on the end of Hyde Park was the Earl Francis, dunno if thats still there.

Earl Francis! Of course! That was driving me mad; I was just going to ring my mum and ask her if she could remember what it was called :hihi: . I think it closed in the early 90s, at the same time as the renovations of Hyde Park Walk and Terrace - 1990/1991, if I remember correctly.

Where exactly on Park Hill was The Scottish Queen? The name sounds so familiar, but I can't place it.

It's amazing to think that each complex had all these pubs and people actually went in them!

Drove past Park Hill a few months ago at night and it didn't look like a soul lived in them. Not surprised the Tavern has closed down. Don't know whether people are happy or sad about it...They looked like an absolute dive, but I've always wanted to go and have a look around them to see what they're like close up!