IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Pubs on Park Hill/Hyde Park/Kelvin

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

27-09-2007, 16:54   #1
MUFC_OK

Total Posts: 41
Saw a repeat of 'Britains Toughest Pubs' a few weeks ago, which had the 'Parkway Tavern' on Park Hill as one of the pubs. Looked like there were a few characters in there!

Anyway, it got me thinking, were there other pubs on Hyde Park/Parkhill/Kelvin or is the Parkway Tavern just a one off?

Strange thread I know, but I'm quite curious and people on here will deffo have the answers!
27-09-2007, 16:55   #2
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Total Posts: 14,694
The Crows Nest on the Hyde Park, (my mum worked in there for a while)
27-09-2007, 16:57   #3
Hecate

Total Posts: 24,135
There was one at the end of Hyde Park Walk, just behind Hyde Park Terrace. It had a beer garden (albeit entirely composed of concrete) that was very popular in the summer. Can't remember what it was called though.
_______
Look at me still talking when there's science to do.
27-09-2007, 17:01   #4
fox20thc
Forum Hostage

Total Posts: 14,694
Was it the Target?
27-09-2007, 17:02   #5
nick2

Total Posts: 17,214
The Link on Park Hill had some colourfull characters.
27-09-2007, 17:04   #6
Hecate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox20thc View Post
Was it the Target?
That name's not ringing any bells. I think it might have been something to do with a queen. Could be mistaken. Better go and have a Google...
_______
27-09-2007, 17:05   #7
jayne67

Total Posts: 1,209
I think the target was on the tall block, (on the greyhound stadium side), and there was a Plimsoll pub on the small block. What was the pub called on the Pavement (Park Hill)?

Jayne
27-09-2007, 17:16   #8
Hecate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
There was one at the end of Hyde Park Walk, just behind Hyde Park Terrace. It had a beer garden (albeit entirely composed of concrete) that was very popular in the summer. Can't remember what it was called though.
I can't find any reference to it using my - admittedly rubbish - Googling skills. 'The Scottish Queen' springs to mind, though that could be another Hyde Park/Park Hill pub.
_______
27-09-2007, 17:25   #9
depoix

Total Posts: 8,238
on kelvin we had the gatefield and the halfpenny,decent enough pubs in their time,just because it was kelvin flats people from outside the area thought the pubs were full of trouble but they were wrong,you could get to them in the winter or rain without getting wet,on a summer night you could have a walk round the gatefield,george the forth,over to the halfpenny,accross to the upperthorpe hotel,then the scarbro'arms,turn left and call in the office or the club,and all within ten minutes of home
_______
i am not a number, i am a man, a person
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikynT...eature=related
27-09-2007, 17:29   #10
slh73

Total Posts: 3,058
Send a message via MSN to slh73
On Park Hill there was the Link, the Earl George, Scottish Queen and Parkway Tavern, all of them shut now AFAIK. The one on the end of Hyde Park was the Earl Francis, dunno if thats still there.
27-09-2007, 17:35   #11
Hecate

Quote:
Originally Posted by slh73 View Post
On Park Hill there was the Link, the Earl George, Scottish Queen and Parkway Tavern, all of them shut now AFAIK. The one on the end of Hyde Park was the Earl Francis, dunno if thats still there.
Earl Francis! Of course! That was driving me mad; I was just going to ring my mum and ask her if she could remember what it was called . I think it closed in the early 90s, at the same time as the renovations of Hyde Park Walk and Terrace - 1990/1991, if I remember correctly.

Where exactly on Park Hill was The Scottish Queen? The name sounds so familiar, but I can't place it.
_______
27-09-2007, 17:41   #12
MUFC_OK

It's amazing to think that each complex had all these pubs and people actually went in them!

Drove past Park Hill a few months ago at night and it didn't look like a soul lived in them. Not surprised the Tavern has closed down. Don't know whether people are happy or sad about it...They looked like an absolute dive, but I've always wanted to go and have a look around them to see what they're like close up!
27-09-2007, 17:43   #13
Hecate

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC_OK View Post
It's amazing to think that each complex had all these pubs and people actually went in them! ...
Why is it amazing to think that?
_______
27-09-2007, 17:47   #14
slh73

Total Posts: 3,058
Send a message via MSN to slh73
The Scottish Queen was round the back, on the road that runs from the tram bridge, I think.
27-09-2007, 17:48   #15
MUFC_OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hecate View Post
Why is it amazing to think that?
Because when I lived in Sheffield (2003/2004) Kelvin had been knocked down, Hyde Park didn't seem to have a pub, and Park Hill looked completely derelict. Just hard to imagine the place being full of life when it looks in such a sorry state now!
27-09-2007, 17:51   #16
Plain Talker
Happy Hijaabi

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 43,470
Correctimundo, the Hyde Park pubs were indeed the Earl Francis, The Target, The Crow's Nest, and the Samuel Plimsoll.

the Park Hill pubs were the Parkway, the Link, the Scottish Queen, and the Earl George.
yes, the SQ was halfway up the PHF, on the frontage to South Street.

Didn't have a lot to do with the kelvin pubs, I don't remember the Gateefield much at all, but I definitely remember the Halfpenny. Whereabouts on the K was the Gatefield? I remember the HP being near the joining-bridges between the two blocks, on the bottom floor, near the housing office. My memory is failing me, were there shops there, on the Kelvin, like on the Pavement and High Pavement rows on HP and PHF? or were the only shopsthere the ones which were on Upperthorpe and on Infirmary Road?
_______
1.5 billion Muslims on this planet...
500,000 muslims in Australia...
ONE mentally ill criminal in a cafe... Lets keep a sense of perspective here.
27-09-2007, 17:52   #17
happyhippy
Sláinte!

Mod on the Other Side
Total Posts: 19,296
The Earl Francis was still open in 1994 (the last time I went in there), but was dying on its feet. Park Hill is empty, and due to be refurbished.
29-09-2007, 02:24   #18
Andy the dj

Total Posts: 217
Send a message via MSN to Andy the dj
I lived on the hyde park for a while around 1985 and worked in the crows nest and target as a dj. crows nest on wednesdays and the Target on fridays.
Brian and Barbra had the crows two great people and the target was owned by two gay men both of them fine.
the customers were great as well,only remember the occasional scrap,never got involved.
Made some great friends.
the last i knew of Brian and Barbra they had a sweet stall in Sheffield Castle market a few years a go,but now moved on.
06-07-2017, 18:25   #19
theimposter

Total Posts: 566
I'm looking for info on the 2 pubs at Kelvin. Out of all the pubs mentioned these 2 have the least info available. Did anyone use them? Does anyone remember the landlords? Does anyone have pictures? Any help appreciated for my research 👍
09-07-2017, 19:55   #20
bazza63

Total Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyhippy View Post
The Earl Francis was still open in 1994 (the last time I went in there), but was dying on its feet. Park Hill is empty, and due to be refurbished.
My brother in law kept the Earl Francis Ken and Mary Sheldon,also had the Gatefield on Kelvin,another brother in law opened the Samuel Plimsoll in the 70s, Bill and Lilly Hatton.
Reply To Topic