Highest Door Number??

I'm suffering from Bored at Lunch Syndrome today, and wondered where the highest door number is in Sheffield. Road names tend to change at the magical 999, thus resetting the numbering to 1, but there must be one that carries on??

Also - do any roads in Sheffield have houses only with names rather than numbers? I know some people name their houses, but they also have a number. Do any just have a name? Even Long Line is numbered, though a few have names.

Hope there are more bored people out there...!

I think there is a historical local bye law preventing a house number from being higher than 999.

But to expand the discussion a little:-

Most street numbers are oriented such that, the lower numbers are at the town centre end of the street in general. But did you know that in the 19th century they changed to this method from having the highest number at the town centre end of the street. I think there are some very old streets which are numbered the old way.

The road I live on is numbered with the smallest numbers away from town... The houses were built around the 1880's I believe.

I just looked up Banner cross post office. 999 ecc road!

Number 13 is sometimes harder to sell. My parents live next door to one and buyers have been very superstitious in the past. When I used to take paper round in my youth, I remember about half all roads in wadsley had 12a instead of 13.

yeah ive done estates where its been 11, 11a, 15

some flats must be higher than 999? i know in USA they go bigger - typical!

my parents road doesn't have a 13.

I think Ecclesall Road has the highest number (I think its the same numbering system from city centre right the way up Ecclesall Road South.

highest I've lived at is 589 Middlewood Road, don't think that road goes a lot higher than 600 though.

Originally posted by NatalieSheff

imagine having 666? gutted

haahaa- your just asking for it moving into a house with a number like that!!!

the highest door number i've had is a paltry 95, currently split between a 17 and 77 (home and uni).

My uncle sold his house, a number 41, only to move into another 41!

the number of ur house is supposed to sig something - i was talking to a numerologist the other day