Morning/all the time sickness

hi

ive got a friend whos getting sickness all the time, not physically just the feeling in her mouth. Ginger biscuits dont work Any Ideas? I didnt have this prob with mini me so no idea

Yep try a sea sickness band, it is the same kind of sickness and works well, trust me.

i was sick all the way through, and found that ice cream (which i don't normally like), coke (ditto) and chocolate were some of the only things that helped. brown rice was quite good, and so were bananas for the first 6 months (until then i could cope with the smell, but not any more). even the thought of ginger or mint was enough to make me retch. plain pasta with grated cheese was ok too. can't say i enjoyed being pregnant...

hi

ive got a friend whos getting sickness all the time, not physically just the feeling in her mouth. Ginger biscuits dont work Any Ideas? I didnt have this prob with mini me so no idea

How many weeks is she?

If she starts to actually vomit and it becomes excessive...go to the docs/hospital.

I had this, just getting to 13 weeks and its going a little.

I found that first thing, eat ceral.

Then at 11am i had a snack a jack or piece of toast.

then lunch

then 3pm maybe a bag of crisps or another snack a jack.

Then tea / evening meal

Then toast for super

Although it sounds alot of food, the lunch and evening meal wasnt as big as i would normally have, also plenty of water!

thanks ill past on the info - lots of little meals sounds good idea to try

I was suffering from constant severe nausea (for different reasons!) a few weeks ago and can agree with the lots of little things idea. You keep your strength up without making yourself feel too much worse. :thumbsup:

I had this with both mine, it's nasty, but sipping water & nibbling savoury things does help. Thankfully, it passes!

I had this with both mine, it's nasty, but sipping water & nibbling savoury things does help. Thankfully, it passes!

it doesn't necessarily pass, sorry! after a while you start craving fatty things - i had so much trouble with being sick that i was losing weight until about 20 weeks, despite eating fatty things. fortunately i could keep liquids down (usually), so coke is really good (which is why if you're on holiday and get the runs and can't get a decent remedy from the gp, you should just drink coke - full of liquid and full of ions). savoury is obviously better if you can manage it, but even bad things are better than nothing.

if your friend has real trouble, she could ask the gp to prescribe 'scandishake' - they're really tasty milkshakes for anorexics (horrendously high fat content, but if weight gain is a big problem then high fat isn't so bad), with something like 600 calories per half pint. i found that even when i was bringing most things back up i could keep these down as they were fairly small (and obviously liquid). however, most gps won't prescribe these unless you ask, as they cost the nhs about £20 for 6 sachets of the stuff.

is your friend hyperemetic? ie so sick that she's actually physically unwell? if so, she shouldn't listen to any of our advice, other than to go straight to the gp (not in 2 weeks' time, but now. or pop to the jessop) - blood pressure and dehydration are linked, and both are bad for the fetus.

is your friend hyperemetic? ie so sick that she's actually physically unwell? if so, she shouldn't listen to any of our advice, other than to go straight to the gp (not in 2 weeks' time, but now. or pop to the jessop) - blood pressure and dehydration are linked, and both are bad for the fetus.

Hyperemesis gravidarum can be serious and very unpleasant. It usually peaks at around 7 weeks after conception and this is the time that women are usually admitted to hospital. I think if it's just the nausea (and no vomiting) your friend will be ok and it should pass. If she is vomiting, 24 hours a day and can't keep water down (or any foods) either then she certainly needs to see someone quickly.

so coke is really good just drink coke - .

I would have thought coke will bloat you and make you feel worse. Not to mention the sugar content if not diet.

Remember if pregnant you shouldnt have as much caffine which coke has.

I found i never drank water, but I drink loads now as it helps the sickness!

I would have thought coke will bloat you and make you feel worse. Not to mention the sugar content if not diet.

Remember if pregnant you shouldnt have as much caffine which coke has.

I found i never drank water, but I drink loads now as it helps the sickness!

cheeky, paraphrasing and quoting me out of context. coke is fantastic for people who are dehydrating because of diarrhoea. it is also fantastic for people who are being constantly sick and can't keep things down. sugar is great for you if you can't keep anything down - something that is absorbed quickly is better than nothing at all, both for the mum and the baby, in the short term.

obviously you should cut your caffeine intake during pregnancy (as my caffeine intake is normally restricted to a bar of chocolate every few days i didn't bother cutting it), but as coke has so much sugar in it you don't actually need much to feel much better if you're both sick and hungry. a few sips of coke (or decaffeinated, if you can find it) every few hours might just keep you afloat. i had gastric flu at 36 weeks and went into premature labour. i didn't keep any fluids down for over 36 hours and vomited something like 2 dozen separate occasions, which was extremely unpleasant and really rather painful, not to mention how worried i was for the baby. during that time and before i was put on a drip, the only thing that i could keep down was coke, hence recommending coke for sickness - it takes the pressure off, as you don't feel so hungry, so feel much better. obviously water is much more important.

i'm only suggesting that the friend drink small amounts of coke (sorry, should have made that clear) and only if that's all she can keep down, which, as she isn't actually being sick at the moment, probably isn't necessary. in the best interests of both mothre and baby, coke is a lesser evil than going hungry and weak. as i mentioned before, anything (well, almost) is better than nothing, and a healthy intake is best, but if you can't manage that then you have to make do with what you can manage. everyone is different during pregnancy...i imagine any suggestions that help with the nausea are welcome.