Darnall public house

can anyone tell me the name of the public house nicknamed the monkey.

On Darnall main road, Sheffield 9. I seem to think it's the Ball inn but a friend says there was another pub between the Ball and the Medow, i dont recall this pub? can you help. thanks

I don't know about the nickname, but Douglas Lamb's A Pub on Every Corner shows the 'Old Cricket Ground Inn' at 289 Darnall Road, that is, right next to the Ball at 287. That puts it between the Ball and the Meadow.

Hugh

can anyone tell me the name of the public house nicknamed the monkey.

On Darnall main road, Sheffield 9. I seem to think it's the Ball inn but a friend says there was another pub between the Ball and the Medow, i dont recall this pub? can you help. thanks

industry...i think

we've been down this road before in a previous thread. as a kid i passed it every day on my way to whitby road school, and it was my dads local. it was on the corner of vine street and was called the vine. it got the name monkey because there was a stuffed monkey in a cage behind the bar. ive got some old black and white pics of the old man in the pub and you can see the monkey in the background.

the ball inn was a little lower down darnall road at the bottom of basford street. the meadow and industry were the other way on darnall road opposite the old lyric pictures

Thanks Hugh,Geezer,Pauly1664 and Pete.

The Monkey was New Inn Darnall Main Road.

Above the Ball before the Medow a friend tells me.

once again thanks.

There was a pub at the corner of Vine Road and Darnall Main Road. It may have been called The Vine. I will have to look at some old photo's to find out its name. The New Inn was on the corner of Vine Road and Turin Street. It was not on Darnall Main Road.

Kevin :thumbsup:

Just had a look. It was the Old Cricket Ground at the corner of Vine Road and Darnall Main Road. The next Road was Coventry Road and at the top it had the gates to Darnall Cemetery. It was originally a cricket ground before being turned over for the burial of the dead.

Love it ... Kevin

Just had a look. It was the Old Cricket Ground at the corner of Vine Road and Darnall Main Road. The next Road was Coventry Road and at the top it had the gates to Darnall Cemetery. It was originally a cricket ground before being turned over for the burial of the dead.

Love it ... Kevin

Just for info theres a great picture of the pub and the shop next door on Sheffield libraries "Picture Sheffield" site. http://www.picturesheffield.com.

Search Main Road Darnall.

Cheers

Edited by Odd-jobs

we've been down this road before in a previous thread. as a kid i passed it every day on my way to whitby road school, and it was my dads local. it was on the corner of vine street and was called the vine. it got the name monkey because there was a stuffed monkey in a cage behind the bar. ive got some old black and white pics of the old man in the pub and you can see the monkey in the background.

the ball inn was a little lower down darnall road at the bottom of basford street. the meadow and industry were the other way on darnall road opposite the old lyric pictures

Hi Pete-

Do you still have the picture? I am writing a book about Sheffield pubs and Id like to see it and possibly use it?

Just out of interest here's a photo of the New Inn on Vine Road, just around the corner from the Monkey.I think they both closed 1968/9

---------- Post added 26-02-2016 at 20:46 ----------

Try again

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20239&pos=163&action=zoom&id=22756

---------- Post added 26-02-2016 at 20:52 ----------

And again

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s21767&prevUrl=

Edited by Odd-jobs