Sheffield Forum

Sheffield Blitz

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

28-02-2007, 17:56   #1
sarahjo

Total Posts: 1
I am doing my dissertation on the Sheffield Blitz and the impact of this on the working class. I'm wanting to look at all aspects of life from the impact on jobs to living conditions to social life so if anyone that was there could help me I would really appreciate it.

thankyou
sarah
01-03-2007, 18:59   #2
flyer

Total Posts: 2,419
Iwas told on one of the days? water was completly shut off to the Penistone rd Langsett area,but one house on High house rd had a thin trickle of water still coming (down hill?) the word soon spread and for a couple of days a endless line going though this kitchen with pot& pans waiting for their turn to fill.
01-03-2007, 20:39   #3
Albatross

Total Posts: 284
There's a video documentary available called 'Sheffield At War - The Blitz' which costs about a tenner, or maybe you can get it from the library.
Also if you go to the following link http://www.bbc.co.uk/home/d/ and search for Sheffield blitz it comes up with over 40 pages of peoples stories about it.

Here's what wilkipedia had to say.
The Sheffield Blitz is the name given to the worst nights of bombing in Sheffield, England during the Second World War. It took place over the nights of 12 December and 15 December 1940. Over 660 lives were lost, 1500 more were injured and 40,000 were made homeless. 3,000 homes were demolished with a further 3,000 badly damaged. A total 78,000 homes received damage. Sheffield was targeted by the Luftwaffe due to its importance as a steel centre.
_______
Gravity is a lie.
THE EARTH SUCKS
02-03-2007, 05:18   #4
langy

Total Posts: 10
I used to live on Addison Rd in Firth Park and the house had a crack running from the gutters down to the top of the side door as a result of an incendry bomb landing at the top of Addison Rd during an air raid. Some of the houses had air raid shelters in the back gardens but some people just used the kitchen pantry under the stars.
02-03-2007, 05:48   #5
Cynthia

Total Posts: 305
[QUOTE
The Sheffield Blitz is the name given to the worst nights of bombing in Sheffield, England during the Second World War. It took place over the nights of 12 December and 15 December 1940. Over 660 lives were lost, 1500 more were injured and 40,000 were made homeless. 3,000 homes were demolished with a further 3,000 badly damaged. A total 78,000 homes received damage. Sheffield was targeted by the Luftwaffe due to its importance as a steel centre.[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Cynthia; 21-04-2008 at 04:29. Reason: Incorrect
02-03-2007, 06:42   #6
Albatross

Total Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthia View Post
[QUOTE

The Sheffiedl blitz was on Thursday the 10th. December and Sunday 13th. December 1940.

Cynthia. Canada.
If you check your calendar Cynthia you would see that the 10th. December 1940 was on a Tuesday and 13th. December1940 was on a Friday. If you also check the BBC link I put on the post it says on there that the first Sheffield Blitz started on December 12th night and went through to the 13th so there can't have been a Sheffield Blitz on the 10th.
_______
Gravity is a lie.
THE EARTH SUCKS
02-03-2007, 08:17   #7
PopT

Total Posts: 2,083
sarahjo

If you search the forum you will find more information on a previous posting.

It's entitled 'Sheffield Blitz Information' posted by 'Kenny' on the 19/11/2005.

I hope this helps you.

Happy Days!
02-03-2007, 15:02   #8
TheRedWizard

Total Posts: 905
Check out trades and labour council minutes at Shoreham St., and of course the papers at the library.

Very interesting dissertation. What themes are you focussing on?
28-03-2008, 09:55   #9
Tony

Total Posts: 22,415
Send a message via MSN to Tony
How many bombs dropped on Sheffield in WW2 and where were they?
_______
It's the devil's advocaat innit
Otherwise, occasionally gone.
28-03-2008, 11:41   #10
lakerman

Total Posts: 456
I remember this question being asked by someone a few years ago. I think there is a book or a list , plus a map, somewhere in the local studies libraries.
28-03-2008, 12:15   #11
retep

Total Posts: 8,384
There's an indication on Chris Hobbs Site,

http://www.chrishobbs.com/sheffield/pitsmoorwardead.htm
28-03-2008, 13:54   #12
midvixen

Total Posts: 429
I remember my Nan telling me about a bomb that dropped in the gardens near the bottom of Stannington Road. She was evacuated into the cellar of the Anvil Pub across the road.
_______
"Don't be a don't be.....be a do be!"
28-03-2008, 14:38   #13
cat631

Total Posts: 1,274
These are photos of a map included in a Sheffield Star publication called Sheffield at War 1939-45. It's too fragile to scan.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...eldBombsNW.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...eldbombsNE.jpg
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...eldBombsSW.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...eldBombsSE.jpg
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...nSheffield.jpg
The black dots show the sites of high explosive bombs or landmines and not incendiaries.
One of the most well known sites was The Marples Hotel in Fitzalen Sqare, since rebuilt as a pub but now a motorcycle clothing shop.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o...1/DSCN5181.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I quote from Sheffield at War 1939-45. ' Sheffield had sixteen air raids with 631 killed and 1,817 injured. The first bomb fell on the night of August 18th 1940, the last on July 28th 1942 along with 130 alerts.
The Sheffield Blitz is thought of as the nights of 12th. 13th. and 15th. December 1940.
It is estimated that 300 aircraft participated, 450 high explosive, 6 parachute mines and many thousands of incendiary bombs were dropped.
28-03-2008, 14:57   #14
cat631

Hello Midvixen. Look on the first map Bombs NW. near the junction of Stannington Rd. and Holme Lane. I dont know which one of the three just missed your Nan. Does anyone in your family have a photo of the event?
28-03-2008, 18:40   #15
Pegasus

Total Posts: 940
Did you know that Sheffield was also bombed by a Zeplin in WW1?

I'm sure the map is not conclusive as you can still see some old bomb craters on Wincobank Hill also the old swings just inside Woolly Woods was totally destroyed if you know where to look you can still see where it was.

My mother (Pamela Pyne) lived on Stockton Street there was six of them and they weren't evacuated even after the first raid. Derek Dooley lived a few streets away.
_______
Always a little further. http://pilgrimbandits.org/
28-03-2008, 21:01   #16
cat631

Did you know that Sheffield was also bombed by a Zeplin in WW1?
----------------------------------
If you look on the thread: World War 1 Volunteers Wanted, No.91, you will find a photo of the memorial to the casualties of the Zeppelin raid.
28-03-2008, 21:20   #17
midvixen

Total Posts: 429
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat631 View Post
Hello Midvixen. Look on the first map Bombs NW. near the junction of Stannington Rd. and Holme Lane. I dont know which one of the three just missed your Nan. Does anyone in your family have a photo of the event?
Just looked on the map and it's the one on Stannington Road, the one on the right of that pair of dots.

Been on the phone to my Mum, but I don't think there are any photos in the family. Mum said it dropped just at the bottom of the gardens on the edge of the "mousehole" allotments, but I'm afraid that's all she knows. The older relatives have all passed away so other than having a seance, I can't help any more!!

Sorry
_______
"Don't be a don't be.....be a do be!"
28-03-2008, 22:24   #18
simonj

Total Posts: 1,642
The SW map confirms a distant memory/rumour from my childhood in that a bomb did indeed drop on the wasteground we used to play on between Slayleigh Avenue and Slayleigh Lane (just north of the 'Fulwood' marker). It's another posh housing estate now
_______
"Is there anybody in there, just nod if you can hear me"
28-03-2008, 23:36   #19
hillsbro

Total Posts: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by midvixen View Post
... Mum said it dropped just at the bottom of the gardens on the edge of the "mousehole" allotments...
It was actually a landmine (parachute mine) which landed in the mousehole area but failed to explode. The area was evacuated until the bomb disposal people had made it safe. Apparently, if it had exploded it would have destroyed the houses in the lower part of Stannington Road and much of Malin Bridge/Walkley Bank.
_______
Live like you mean it.
29-03-2008, 08:54   #20
matsalleh

Total Posts: 4,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat631 View Post
One or all 3 of those are probably the reason why none of our walls are straight.
_______
Still a tax payer
Reply To Topic