Thefts from lockers at ponds forge

Mine and my friend's lockers were recently broken in to in the sports hall changing rooms at Ponds Forge. Both locker doors had been forced open and they took phones, watches, keys, glasses, our wallets and even my trousers! It probably worked out, with the cash that was in the wallets, at over £500 worth of stuff each. Ponds Forge staff gave us a list of numbers to cancel bank cards etc but were then all hard lines lads, away you go then. I was just curious if anyone else has had anything stolen there and if you knew whether we've just got to take it on the chin or whether Ponds Forge should be giving us at least something towards what we lost. As it stands at the moment they're saying that they're not responsible for the thefts so there's nothing they can do.

I would imagine that they have a 'property left at owners own risk' type policy.

You may have cover for items stolen away from the home on your household insurance so it maybe worth checking that out, and make sure you report it to the police. Ok, so they are not likely to launch a major investigation, but if they are aware of all incidents like tghis they can put pressure on the Managers at Ponds Forge to increase security and stop people wandering where they shouldn't. Unfortunately it seems all too common for stuff to go from lockers these days.

Mine and my friend's lockers were recently broken in to in the sports hall changing rooms at Ponds Forge. Both locker doors had been forced open and they took phones, watches, keys, glasses, our wallets and even my trousers! It probably worked out, with the cash that was in the wallets, at over £500 worth of stuff each. Ponds Forge staff gave us a list of numbers to cancel bank cards etc but were then all hard lines lads, away you go then. I was just curious if anyone else has had anything stolen there and if you knew whether we've just got to take it on the chin or whether Ponds Forge should be giving us at least something towards what we lost. As it stands at the moment they're saying that they're not responsible for the thefts so there's nothing they can do.

I believe if they have signs up saying 'We or Sheffield City Council cannot be held responsible for any loss of property' you've got no chance.

I'm sorry to say this but it's done to cover their own backs

i hope you called the police? there must be cctv to see whos going in and out etc? and if its regular i hope they're maybe commiting to haveing the changing rooms checked every 15mins or sumthing?

I believe if they have signs up saying 'We or Sheffield City Council cannot be held responsible for any loss of property' you've got no chance.

I'm sorry to say this but it's done to cover their own backs

Also occurred in Concord gym. Opportunist thieves been breaking off padlocks and taking goods. no action taken from gym and no responsibility admitted despite the fact that if you don't pay an annual fee for a locker with a padlock your not garaunteed a locker for your goods because there are only a handful of pound deposit ones.

I did report it to the police and they gave me a crime number and stuff, but I assume that's as much as will happen. He implied that as the CCTV didn't cover the lockers it wasn't even worth checking.

They do have the signs up that say property held in lockers at own risk or something, so I guess that means they're covered, but it seems a little harsh as the lockers are the only place you can actually put your stuff as you're not allowed to take bags in to the gym. Anyone off the street can walk in and get to that particular locker area too, so it's like they've put the signs up so that means they haven't got to actually do anything to make sure the area is secure, so if something gets stolen - tough.

I would have a word with your Councillor and see if they can help you find out whether staff and police are keeping a record of such thefts.

If they have been happening over a period of time and no action has been taken to improve levels of security, you may have a case (civil) against them for failing to ensure a reasonable level of security.

Their signs are not the end of the matter as they do have a duty of care (or something) as by the nature of the premises you are required to leave all your possessions behind when you go for a swim.

How you can prove what items were stolen, and their value, is another matter.