Fletchers Vans

anyone remember them im sure they where red and yellow with a picture on who looked a bit like reg varney

I remember seeing them about. I seem to remember they always had a driver and a van lad. I did hear stories that you were never short of cream buns to scoff. :)

Originally posted by Lickszz

I remember seeing them about. I seem to remember they always had a driver and a van lad. I did hear stories that you were never short of cream buns to scoff. :)

Lickszz, that's an awful thing to say about those fine upstanding chaps from Fletchers.....true but awful. We had a neighbour who always used to keep the van man "cough" talking for a long time! and she was never short of buns or bread either.

Fletchers were very handy and should still be around.

I remember my pals and I hanging on to the steel pole for an uninvited ride as the van travelled up Standon Road, Wincobank. The driver [can't remember if the poor soul resembled Reg Varney] used to shout and tell us off. As for the buns, they were delicious, and the company definately did not deserve to be pilloried in the Wincobank playground song ;"Fletcher's bread tastes like lead, when you eat it you drop dead". Biting satire, eh?

Their coffee cake was the mutts nutts. When Fletchers decided not to run the vans as an integral part of their business I believe a lot of the drivers carried on in a self employed basis.

I saw one earlier this week filling up with fuel in Law bros service station, Hillsboro'. It wasn't sign written but was painted in the same red and cream livery (faded and tatty).

Originally posted by Modesty

Elephants feet.:bigsmile:

nowt finer:thumbsup:

Tha't reet theere, Kirky.

mmmm... we always had snowballs .. I assume because they were cheaper and Mum couldn't afford anything with fresh cream :)

Those green frogs were good as well, with fresh cream inside.