FREE! - Wedding Photographer

Update - As you maybe aware this thread has been going since 2006. I would like to update the thread a little.

My new website is - www.envisagephoto.co.uk

I'm not offering free wedding photography anymore but my prices are very competitive for the quality and services i offer.

If you would like any information, please email me - info@envisagephoto.co.uk or you can use the contact page of my website here

I'm quite happy to have a chat over coffee and cake, just give me a shout.

Thanks for your time,

Graham

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’m planning to set up a wedding and special events business in Sheffield and surrounding areas. I’m currently in the process of developing a website for the business and will be online soon.

The reason why I’m offering my personal time for free is that I need hands on experience. I’m very confident in my skills as a photographer and I feel I have my own unique style which is evident in online gallery - please feel free to have a look so you can see for yourself - Graham Shackleton Photography Gallery. I also have several friends who have their own business in the industry that are advising me and helping me get my foot in the door hence “Free wedding photographer”.

I have professional digital equipment which will be used to its full capacity but if you like the old grainy look or have you own preference for the final print, I’m skilled at Adobe Photoshop and have the knowledge to create an individual style to suit your special day.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me so we can arrange a meeting and discuss a package to suit your needs. If you leave a message on this thread or send me a private message, I will send you my phone number and email address.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,

Graham

Edited by grahamgraham
New web address.

free photography sounds great - especially if like me you cannot afford a photographer but woudl secretly love it. shame i'm getting married in the lake district.

good luck.

Aren't all wedding photographers 'free'?

It all come out in the price of the prints.

As a professional photographer f.R.P.S. of a fair few years, I would strongly advise you to assist a pro wedding photographer before even thinking about taking on the job solo.

It is too much to risk. Reshoots of weddings never work.

I assisted for almost two years before taking commissions - go and watch closely at any wedding (without getting in anyones way) and you will see the singularly special skills needed - many of which, have nothing to do with photography.

Yes .. i agree with supertyke :)

Taking the photographs is only part of doing the job ... a good photographer has to hold the whole thing together for at least a couple of hours ..apart from the Bride and Groom they are the main focus of attention ..so need to be organised and know how to keep the wedding party calm and relaxed. Apart from the obvious like having insurance .. a bad or ill experienced photographer can ruin their day.

I would also advise you assist a professional wedding photographer after all .. weddings these days cost a fortune ..you wouldnt want to make mistakes and risk spoiling their big day.

..you wouldnt want to make mistakes and risk spoiling their big day.

It's a fact Ms Tetley. Even pro's have been known to blow a wedding shoot.

Using one of the most important days of someones life to get practice is not such a fair deal really.

Digital might be easier to correct post production but nothing is assured in this game.

While i appriciate your advice, im sure you can appriciate not everyone has a £1000 budget for a wedding photographer, and if i was charging that much yes i would worry about the above things.

The people who i am trying to appeal to have a low buget and generally rely on friends and family to take shots and would appriciate something a little more professional .... free.

Im sorry if you think this is unfair.

While i appriciate your advice, im sure you can appriciate not everyone has a £1000 budget for a wedding photographer, and if i was charging that much yes i would worry about the above things.

The people who i am trying to appeal to have a low buget and generally rely on friends and family to take shots and would appriciate something a little more professional .... free.

Im sorry if you think this is unfair.

============================================

It may appear unkind of me to uncloak the folly of your offer. However, it is obvious to me that you have no idea whatsoever of what you are getting yourself into - and more importantly, getting some unsuspecting, though naive, couple into.

What you are saying is that, because you are not charging, it's o.k. if the shoot is at best poor and at worst, ruined.

You use the word 'professional' freely, if you were at all professional - (but untrained in wedding photography) - you wouldn't dream of making such an offer.

Ask any sports photographer - landscapist - product photographer - if their field of expertise would allow them to confidently shoot a wedding and they would emphatically say - no..

Also, I think you will find that 99.99% of couples place 'the photography' highly in their list of priorities. Indeed it is amongst the most treasured residuals of 'the day', if not 'the' most treasured. And they would be more wise to skimp on the catering than on this treasured archive.

I am not attacking you I am defending 'them' - though it would be considered by many that I am defending you from the wrath of the disappointed couple! And of course, defending your 'yet to be earned' reputation, which may never recover from a potential disaster of this magnitude.

Please, do as I suggest and watch a wedding.

I too used to think that wedding shoots were 'easy money', - till I assisted.

The amount of work - highly stressed and skilled work - that goes into producing a wedding is enormous.

The preparation and post capture alone can run into months - in fact - MUST run into months.

If you want to do something for free - assist a pro for a while - you'll know if and when you are ready to 'fly solo'.

Or just do a wedding - I don't care that much - this is merely my advice...

============================================

Also, I think you will find that 99.99% of couples place 'the photography' highly in their list of priorities. Indeed it is amongst the most treasured residuals of 'the day', if not 'the' most treasured. And they would be more wise to skimp on the catering than on this treasured archive.

I am not attacking you I am defending 'them' - though it would be considered by many that I am defending you from the wrath of the disappointed couple! And of course, defending your 'yet to be earned' reputation, which may never recover from a potential disaster of this magnitude.

does that mean i'm in the majority or are you calling me a skinflint??

I personally would have taken the op u p on his offer if it was possible. IF at the end of the day I was not happy with the quality of the photo's i quite simply would not hand over any money and i am sure the OP would see exactly why not.

supertyke has got this one spot on. There are some things to give away free - wedding photos isn't one...

Uncloak the folly of my offer? A tad dramatic!!!!

For someone who does not really care so much a 7 paragraph rant is extreme.

Like i said im trying to help people who otherwise would be relying on family and friends to take snapshots.

If grahamgraham was saying "Don't use a professional photographer. Use me!" I'd agree with Supertyke. But he's not - he's saying "Don't go without wedding photos. Use me!".

If it was a choice between a pro & an unknown amateur, nobody would go with the amateur. However, if your choice is between getting your sister's boyfriend to take the photos with his canon ixus, or getting a decent amateur who (from the look of his portfolio) has some decent equipment & knows how to hold a camera, I know which I'd go for.