'Poppy fascism' - what a ridiculous phrase

Jon Snow, the C4 News host is not only refusing to wear a poppy (as is his right) but has railed against so-called 'poppy fascism'. Juxtaposing the word 'fascism' with something completely unrelated to it (as in the case of so called 'body fascism', or even more ludicrously, 'poppy fascism') is in my view lazy, stupid and offensive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=415488&in_page_id=1770

i think they did right if you want to bring something to attention a little debate will do that it just could be a publicity stunt and should increase sales :D

If that is the case then Jon Snow has gone right down in my estimation.

I always considered him to be a reasonable man, but to decry the Poppy Sales is stupid.

It is not a glorification of war, it is remembrance of the fallen.

The thing that irritates me about it is the inclusion of the Royal Family.

They should keep out of it. They and their relatives are behind all the wars in Europe. Remembrance day is for the wartime fallen, not another glorification of the Saxe-Coburg family.

Jon Snow, the C4 News host is not only refusing to wear a poppy (as is his right) but has railed against so-called 'poppy fascism'. Juxtaposing the word 'fascism' with something completely unrelated to it (as in the case of so called 'body fascism', or even more ludicrously, 'poppy fascism') is in my view lazy, stupid and offensive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=415488&in_page_id=1770

I have given this a great deal of thought . After weighing the pros and cons have decided that Jon Snow is, without a shadow of doubt, a nob. :D

Read the whole article first artisan. He says he does wear one in his private life and "I respect our armed forces, the sacrifice and the loss, and like others I remember them on Remembrance Sunday." His point is that is it his choice whether to do it on air or not and he doesn't like being told he must do so - "And in those terms, and those terms alone, I do not and will not wear a poppy"

So he's not anti-poppy. He just doesn't like some people trying to force him to wear one on air.

If that is the case then Jon Snow has gone right down in my estimation.

I always considered him to be a reasonable man, but to decry the Poppy Sales is stupid.

A good job that's got nothing whatsoever to do with his point, then.

Read the whole article first artisan. He says he does wear one in his private life and "I respect our armed forces, the sacrifice and the loss, and like others I remember them on Remembrance Sunday." His point is that is it his choice whether to do it on air or not and he doesn't like being told he must do so - "And in those terms, and those terms alone, I do not and will not wear a poppy"

So he's not anti-poppy. He just doesn't like some people trying to force him to wear one on air.

But he's not being forced to wear it kathy. Moreover, the ludicrous reference to 'poppy fascism' smacks of cheap posturing.

But he's not being forced to wear it kathy.

So why are so many people condemning him for not doing? What's that, if not an attempt to force him into wearing it regardless of his own opinions on the subject?

end of the day a news reader as to be seen as being impartial they not supposed to influence people in any way when they ave a pole they only read them out and not allowed to express there thoughts

But he's not being forced to wear it kathy. Moreover, the ludicrous reference to 'poppy fascism' smacks of cheap posturing.

OK. I was just correcting artisan. I have no interest in defending the man's views or wordings thereof.

Seems a reasonable approach from Jon Snow. The appending of the word fascism to represent the forcing of attitudes / attitudes the speaker doesn't approve of on someone else is a bit emotive and OTT - but no more so in the many other cases where it has been used!

So why are so many people condemning him for not doing? What's that, if not an attempt to force him into wearing it regardless of his own opinions on the subject?

He is not being condemned for not wearing a poppy. He is being condemned for his ridiculous posturing about 'poppy fascism'. He should know what an emotive subject this can be and a dignified silence would have been more appropriate. Instead, his self-indulgent posturing can be construed as highly disrespectful and insulting (and the manner in which he has chosen to express himself completely ridiculous - 'poppy fascism' indeed!)