Sign in to follow this  

Incinerator

I've always had a very open mind regarding the benefits or not of the Barnard Road incinerator (setting aside the inept, costly fiasco regarding the "upgrade" which was then deemed to be inadequate and cost us all £20M+)

That latest research shows a 300% increase in Alzheimers and related conditions in only 20 years and a 50% increase in motor neurone disorders in the same period is a big worry. The researchers say the cause must be environmental ie chemicals that we are in contact with on a daily basis. The finger isn't being pointed at anything specifically but at the cocktail effect, pesticide residues on food, motor vehicle pollution, incinerator fallout, fumes from landfill , chemical treatments on furniture fabric, household cleansers etc etc.

In these circumstances whilst the incinerator fallout is described as insignificant to human health as a stand alone measurement , we don't know what effect the small quantities of pollutants are having in combination with all the others we are exposed to.

Time to re-examine the incinerator question again?

Time to re-examine Sheffield's noxious landfill sites?

Last nights Star made interesting reading. Even allowing for the Libs cheap point scoring on the issue, it has to be a major worry that the Council is prepared to give Onyx a 35 year contract and a major worry that the more material being burnt, the higher the profits for the Council and Onyx. That large quantities of rubbish will be imported into the city from outside is another factor.

In these circumstances health concerns are likely to be ignored until definate proof can be provided. This could take 20 years after suspicions are first raised. egs. lead in petrol, cigarettes, DDT, asbestos, etc etc.

When human health is in conflict with profit it's quite usual to see evidence being supressed and companies engage in a complete denial of any potential problem.

What did the Star say? I make a point of not reading it.

As for the Lib Dem point scoring, let us not forget that when in control of Sheffield, the Lib Dems (despite a national policy of rejecting incineration), decided that incineration would be a good idea for Sheffield and planned to build a brand new plant.

The existing plant, labelled the most polluting incinerator in the country, and the scene of an infamous occupation by Greenpeace a few years ago is soon to be demolished. Sadly, it will be replaced by another incinerator, bigger BIGGER BIGGER than the current one.

Onyx tell us this 'state-of-the-art' incinerator will be safe. Which is exactly what they've been saying about the existing one for more years than I care to remember. And I'm sure fellow Sheffielders living in the vicinity of the incnerator would agree, enjoying a mortality rate 28% higher than usual.

The existing incinerator is tucked away on the edge of the city centre. If you wanted to poison as many Sheffielders as possible, you really couldn't site it in a better location.

I'm upset that Onyx have been provided with a 35 year contract to run the incinerator. Given the relative success of the blue wheelie bins for paper recycling, I was hoping that Sheffield City Council would implement a full kerbside recycling policy including metals, glass and plastics. Sadly, the profits of Onyx depend on burning as much rubbish as they can get away with, rather then implementing environmentally sustainable waste solutions.

Ned - what are these 'benefits' of incineration you speak of? Do you mean that because the rubbish burned produces heat to power buildings in Sheffield, that this is a good thing? If you want more propaganda, try reading Onyx website http://www.greenenergy.co.uk/

The more sensible amongst us will wonder how on earth burning fossil fuels off can ever be classed as an 'environmentally friendly heat source'.

Sheffield - Cleaner, Greener, Safer :confused:

Thanks Ned, you've upset me. I'm going home now :(

Abdul, it could be argued that burning is better than landfill because landfill will be a problem for future generations because of the space taken up by landfill and if you are burning fossil fuels anyway you may as well burn rubbish to provide cheaper energy.

All I'm saying is that there is a good case that incineration is better than landfill ie the lesser of two evils.

However I have a strong feeling that health issues will be coming home to roost over the next 10 years or so and if they do we are likely to find that Onyx and whatever council is in power, will be in complete denial.

What the Libs were saying via The Star is that Sheffield will be importing huge quantities of waste from other local authorities. This is an absolute certainty. There's nothing to stop Leeds, Barnsley etc sending all their rubbish here as long as they are prepared to pay for its disposal. Relations between the Council and Onyx are starting to look a bit too cosy for some people.

At the risk of upsetting you more, you may find that this is worth a read:

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1283563,00.html

I believe that the new incinerator will never last it's lifetime. Every year the EU gets tighter and tighter on emissions and in the future it's just not going to be acceptable to burn large amounts of waste when better use can be made of it. (i.e. recycled).

The council could have taken this as an opportunity to make Sheffield once again the recycling city but they have wasted it. Of course the blue bins have only appeared because of the government targets on recycling and the future increases of landfill tax.

having spotted this topic i felt i should reply. i live 5 mins away from the new incinerator that they are building and already it is ******* me off. i high pitched noise coming from its general direction sent me potty till 11pm the other night.

im concerned about fumes living right on its doorstep, and its wrong to use it for profit by importing more rubbish. sheffield will once again be the smoggy city, while leeds and bradford come up smelling of roses

Where's the new one going to be sited ?

If it's so noisy, contact Environmental Protection at the Council and put in a complaint. They're quick enough to come to the CRB if one of our bands are a bit too loud to tell us to stop noise breakout!

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

Abdul, it could be argued that burning is better than landfill because landfill will be a problem for future generations because of the space taken up by landfill and if you are burning fossil fuels anyway you may as well burn rubbish to provide cheaper energy.

All I'm saying is that there is a good case that incineration is better than landfill ie the lesser of two evils.

Sadly, this is not the case in Sheffield. Incineration is probably worse. After the rubbish is burnt at the incinerator, where does all the highly toxic leftover ash go? That's right - the Parkwood landfill site, barely one mile up the road, where it's blown about the local area by the wind.

Surprisingly, if the rubbish went straight to landfill, it probably wouldn't be as dangerous due to the lack of contaminated ash.

Clearly, incineration and landfill are not environmentally sustainable waste solutions. A full recycling policy is the only way forward.

Originally posted by Ned Ludd

What the Libs were saying via The Star is that Sheffield will be importing huge quantities of waste from other local authorities. This is an absolute certainty. There's nothing to stop Leeds, Barnsley etc sending all their rubbish here as long as they are prepared to pay for its disposal.

Interesting you said that. Earlier in the year, Onyx had a propaganda / information stall in the city centre to celebrate the blue-bin scheme. I asked one of the androids if the new incinerator would be accepting waste from other parts of the country.

She assured me it would not! Well, now we know what a promise from Onyx is worth.

Originally posted by owdlad

Where's the new one going to be sited ?

Right on top of the old one!

Oh lovely, what an intelligent place to site it. That will enhance the appeal of the refurbished Park Hill flats when the winds in that direction.

Originally posted by joi5ey

having spotted this topic i felt i should reply. i live 5 mins away from the new incinerator that they are building and already it is ******* me off. i high pitched noise coming from its general direction sent me potty till 11pm the other night.

Wonder if you could get an ASBO taken out against Onyx?

I don't think that people should have to live next door to places like that and Parkwood Springs.

Originally posted by Abdul

And I'm sure fellow Sheffielders living in the vicinity of the incnerator would agree, enjoying a mortality rate 28% higher than usual.

The mortality rate is 100%. Everywhere.