How much beer does Sheffield now produce?

Go back 50 years and Sheffield was a major producer of beer. Wards, Stones, Tennants and Hope & Anchor spring to mind.

All these giants are confined to history. Their place taken by numerous micro breweries, some of which are starting to grow themselve's.

It is very sad that putting Tennants Brewery into Google results in Google attempting to correct my spelling and moving me over to a Sottish producer of lager type beers.

I just wondered.

1. How much beer Sheffield used to produce?

2 How much is produced here today?

3 How many breweries there are currently in the city? Names would be handy.

I can't answer your question, but I'll be doing my part for local breweries and pubs tonight.

Go back 50 years and Sheffield was a major producer of beer. Wards, Stones, Tennants and Hope & Anchor spring to mind.

All these giants are confined to history. Their place taken by numerous micro breweries, some of which are starting to grow themselve's.

It is very sad that putting Tennants Brewery into Google results in Google attempting to correct my spelling and moving me over to a Sottish producer of lager type beers.

I just wondered.

1. How much beer Sheffield used to produce?

2 How much is produced here today?

3 How many breweries there are currently in the city? Names would be handy.

My aunt works for Tennants, used to work in Sheffield but now literally has to travel to Scotland at least once a week

If I go out drinking I try to look for either John Smiths or Sam Smiths, especially Sam Smiths malt. If it's beer at home it has to be Asahi which I reckon is the best beer I ever had. The bottled stuff is not quite as good as what we had on draught in Tokyo, however if we do happen to visit somewhere like The Sheaf View I will try a few local brews.

Tennants purchased by Whitbreads early sixties. Tennent's part of Bass until sold off and now part of C&C . Been at Wellpark brewery Glasgow many years. The two breweries were/are completely unrelated. Your aunt therefore works for Tennent's.

If I go out drinking I try to look for either John Smiths or Sam Smiths, especially Sam Smiths malt. If it's beer at home it has to be Asahi which I reckon is the best beer I ever had. The bottled stuff is not quite as good as what we had on draught in Tokyo, however if we do happen to visit somewhere like The Sheaf View I will try a few local brews.

You actually seek out Sam Smiths,:gag: I avoided it like the plague when I lived back there lol :D

Used to love the smell of the hops from Whitbreads at Lady's Bridge.

You might be interested to know that The University of Sheffield is publishing a report on this very thing next week, written by the beer writer Pete Brown.

I'll post a link once its live.

Edited by jmerrylees

It might not produce as much beer as it used to 50 years ago. It does, however, produce more good beer than it did 50 years ago

:thumbsup:

That smell now wafts around my kitchen and other rooms from time to time. :D

I used to love smell from Wards Brewery Ecclesall Rd

Now Wetherspoons and flats!

Sheffield breweries off the top of my head

Steel City

Sentinel

Abbeydale

Stancil

Blue Bee

Tapped

Fuggle Bunny

Little Critters

North Union

Toolmakers

Kelham Island