Kilner Way/Halifax Road/Wadsley Bridge Megathread

I have just heard that Somerfield at Wadsley Bridge will be closing in the next two weeks. Does anyone know if this is true?

Think I read something the other week about there being a big redevelopment of that area planned - to bring it up to more modern retail area type standards. Probably part of that scheme.

I heard it was closing after Xmas as that whole area is being redeveloped. It was mentioned that all the outlets on there are shutting, Bingo place, Glyn Webbs etc but I don't know how true that is.

Took my Grandma shopping there the other week and yes it is closing, everybody in the shop was going on about it. Apparently somebody-No-one seems to know who- Has bought the whole unit (i.e Glyn Webbs as well) to turn it into a big supermarket

Its closing in January. The new development has offered them a site but it will be too small.

Its a handy shop to pop too after work, but the older people of the area will be most effected as Somerfield does home delivery.

is this the place just up from fletchers?

if so thats a bit crap, that's our local shop really.

does this mean the whole site including gala comet and halfords

Gala is staying but the other units will be bulldozed and re-built. As far as I know, the existing units will be offered a new unit once it has been built

Thought i heard a whisper of 'Tescos'. Anythings got to better than what currently stands there. Looking on Google earth, the site has a lot of potential and is fairly large. Fingers crossed.

What ever happened to the superbowl site?

As for the redevelopment, i'm all for it - be good to have something similar to Meadowhall Retail Park over this side of Sheffield.

A short piece was in the Sheffield Telegraph a couple of weeks ago along with SCC Planning Notice.

The impression I got was that New Retail units would go on the Superbowl site and then offered to existing tentants on Kilner Way and then the old units would be demolished. The City Council had concerns about any increase in retail selling space and effects on Hillsborough. Reading between the lines SCC don't want something like Meadowhall Retail Park/ Heeley retail Park.

The site of Kilner Way is large and very under used and in my mind you could develop a Park & Ride site with Limited stop Bus service and long term a NEW Wadsley Bridge Railway Station if the Don Valley Railway plans gets any where.

As regards Tesco have been looking to develop the triangle plot of land it owns opposite Wedneday's ground for the past few years... however since taking over the former Safeway site on Infirmary Road I am not sure if its now just a land bank investment ( no one else can have it) and now has some sort of lease agreement with SWFC to use as a car park on match days.Concerns on any Tesco development by S5 locals and any possible closure of the small Herries road store.

The other supermarket chain looking for a site in S6 is ASDA who wanted the SWFC training ground.

So if Somerfield are planning to not relocate into a new unit(S) or could it be a tactic to get better terms at this early stage? I don't Know.... however a Supermarket is required otherwise its more road traffic for Hillsborough or Chapeltown.