Just had a Great Walk with Fellow Forummer

Decided I really could do with a walk this weekend so myself and SHsheff emailed and PM'd each other and arranged to meet up this afternoon.

We had a lovely walk around Redmires, down Wyming Brook, up to the Headstone and back to the car park. All done at a leisurely pace and including a veritable feast of Bilberries, plus some Bearberries. Had mixed weather, nice refreshing showers interspersed with beautiful sunshine. The Heather was spectacular and smelled wonderful.

The whole walk took only three hours and the ground was so dry the route could have been done in trainers.

If and when other people decide to arrange walks then please let us know how it went.

I have no doubt I'll be up for another walk next weekend, so if anyone else is up for it maybe it could be arranged.

Picking blueberries (hand to mouth!) on that sunny bank with not another soul in sight was one of my most pleasurable moments of the year, taxman. Thank you so much for showing me a different side to an area I thought I knew pretty well. A truly lovely walk, taking in water, woodland and open moorland and a range of weather. Perfect!

I used to go picking bilberries nearly 60 yrs ago at Wymingbrook when the POW camp was near there.

I'm pleased to hear they are still there (the bilberries not the POWs) and still gving pleasure on picking them.

hazel

I used to go picking bilberries nearly 60 yrs ago at Wymingbrook when the POW camp was near there.

I'm pleased to hear they are still there (the bilberries not the POWs) and still gving pleasure on picking them.

hazel

There were some huge ones, hazel! Really big, plump, juicy, sweet ones. Not those little sourish berries that you sometimes get on the hills and pick a few of but then don't bother with because actually they weren't very nice..... We'd only manage to walk a few feet then I'd stop again because a nice fat juicy bunch had caught my eye, then taxman would stop patiently and because he was having to wait, he'd pick himself a few too...... We got back to the car and our hands were stained with purple (so was my face). I'm telling y'all, it was a lovely afternoon! :)

Did they still hang over the crags so that the best ones were almost out of reach.

We used to have so much fun. We walked down from there to Rivelin Post Ofice and there were mill stones used as stepping stones in the stream.

It was an old penny to buy a glasss of milk at the Farm on the top of the hill.

I'd swear it was still warm from the cow.

The POW were allowed out to walk on the crags , I was afraid of them but think they were just missing home and family.

hazel

Taxman knows of a sunny bank on a hillside with a secret path running through it ;) so we were able to collect as many as we liked without any danger whatsoever..... just stood on the path, and there they were all around us.

:)

It sounds like a beautiful day out, hope you have many more.

hazel

Thank you hazel. I'm sure we will.

If it hadn't been for the Forum Walking Group, taxman and I wouldn't have been talking about walks, and we wouldn't have got together for this one! I hope it inspires others to get out and enjoy the countryside too. :)

Talk about a blast from the past!

This is still one of the best walks in and around the Sheffield area and I'm sure will be repeated sometime this Summer!