The underground Firth Brown Medical Center.

On the website 28 Days Later there are photos of Firth Browns Medical Center which seem to be underground now. The photos show an almost intact medical center with beds and cupboards filled with medical equipment all left behide when the steelworks closed. For some unknown reason while the rest of the steelworks were cleared away this was left intact and buired in rubble and all but forgotten about untill some Urban exployers found it again. Did anyone on this Forum work there or used it and where was it? Its a shame it could not be restored and made into a small muesum on Firth Browns steelworks as it is a rare find.

On the website 28 Days Later there are photos of Firth Browns Medical Center which seem to be underground now. The photos show an almost intact medical center with beds and cupboards filled with medical equipment all left behide when the steelworks closed. For some unknown reason while the rest of the steelworks were cleared away this was left intact and buired in rubble and all but forgotten about untill some Urban exployers found it again. Did anyone on this Forum work there or used it and where was it? Its a shame it could not be restored and made into a small muesum on Firth Browns steelworks as it is a rare find.

Hello iron sky, I worked at Firth Browns in the offices, which are still intact, on Saville Street. I was 16 in 1960, and when parking my bike I burned my arm on the hot exhaust. I was sent to the nurse for treatment. I seem to remember a lady in a white smock. Don't know if it's the place you are describing and can't remember what it looked like I'm afraid. This was on Carlisle Street East, on the left about a hundred yards or so past Carwood Road away from town. It was opposite the Heavy Forge. How can I access the photos please?

Regards, Peter

Edited by PeterR

Hello iron sky, I worked at Firth Browns in the offices, which are still intact, on Saville Street. I was 16 in 1960, and when parking my bike I burned my arm on the hot exhaust. I was sent to the nurse for treatment. I seem to remember a lady in a white smock. Don't know if it's the place you are describing and can't remember what it looked like I'm afraid. This was on Carlisle Street East, on the left about a hundred yards or so past Carwood Road away from town. It was opposite the Heavy Forge. How can I access the photos please?

Regards, Peter

www.28dayslater.co.uk-Firth-Brown-Medical-Centre-Sheffield

There are more links near the bottom of the page

Or just Google Images Firth Brown Medical Center Sheffield. The Medical Center is still there the photos show as it is now.

The Medical centre was on what i think was Norroy street alongside the Lord Nelson pub It was Known as the CCS (casualty clering station)Firth Brown had their own ambulance during the was years I believe it closed shortly after the VJ day

There was also an ambulance rom on Carilsle St just past the Corner Pin pub and several ambulance rooms in the time offices at various gates

The Medical centre was on what i think was Norroy street alongside the Lord Nelson pub It was Known as the CCS (casualty clering station)Firth Brown had their own ambulance during the was years I believe it closed shortly after the VJ day

There was also an ambulance rom on Carilsle St just past the Corner Pin pub and several ambulance rooms in the time offices at various gates

Hi kingfisher, was the Lord Nelson at the corner of Norroy Street and Greystock Street? I've been trying to make sence of a couple of pics. on http://www.picturesheffield.co.uk which describe the pub shown as the Victoria Hotel and state at Norroy Street/Saville Street, although the pic shows Greystock Street. I thought the Vic. was a bigger building on the corner of Norroy St./Saville Street. Am I totally wrong?:confused: ....I believe the building next to the Lord Nelson was F.Bs. chauffer's garage when I worked at F.B. in the early '60s.

The medical centre I attended would have been the one you describe as just past the Corner Pin.See my post of 17th. Oct.

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

The Lord Nelson pub was on a corner on Norroy Street like the Carwood Hotel both long gone. On Gerystock Road was a pub called Pumpers again pulled down also in that area was the Albert and the Norfolk. Going back to Firth Browns Medical Center Im starting to think the reason it was left up might have been a bomb proof building. It would have been hell to pull it down so they left it up also when you look at 28 Days Later the center got a 1940s feel to it perhaps built during the war. On one wall someone has written there name and dated it 1956 so it was still in use for a time in the postwar years.

Edited by iron sky

The Lord Nelson pub was on a corner on Norroy Street like the Carwood Hotel both long gone. On Gerystock Road was a pub called Pumpers again pulled down also in that area was the Albert and the Norfolk. Going back to Firth Browns Medical Center Im starting to think the reason it was left up might have been a bomb proof building. It would have been hell to pull it down so they left it up also when you look at 28 Days Later the center got a 1940s feel to it perhaps built during the war. On one wall someone has written there name and dated it 1956 so it was still in use for a time in the postwar years.

Thanks for this info.

I remember going in there in 79/80 when my mate angle ground his leg. We used to go and buy vitamins from there too so we could talk to the nurse. Ended-up with a cupboard full. It was on the central roadway, south side, Sutherland Street end as I remember, slightly below ground level but not underground.

Hello,

I'm one of the explorers who's report on the medical centre you may have seen on 28dl.

I'm trying to piece together information on the surrounding buildings, some of which I believe are still in situ, albeit buried, just as the medical centre is.

Without going into specifics, the site is on Carlisle Street East - maybe this was actually the "ambulance room" that kingfisher refers to?

Does anybody have any recollections of what other buildings may have been adjacent to the medical centre, in particular, in keeping with the same 'underground but not underground' feel?

I have an old OS map that shows buildings somewhat matching what I believe to be there, dating from 1955. There is indeed graffiti inside dating from the 50's and I discovered a newspaper page from WWII. I think the place was covered up around '88 when the majority of the Atlas Works were demolished.

Any info anyone might have on this fascinating site would be much appreciated :)

I believe the underground medical center was on Carlisle Street East as has been said. I went to see the nurse there "once", it was a long walk from where I worked in the labs so you had to be fit to get there!!!

The underground place mentioned next to the Nelson pub on Norroy Street was the creep testing lab and the photographic department. I joined the company in 1965 and worked there in the lab before moving to the new Brown-Firth Research laboratory on Attercliffe Road. There was a ramp (probably still there) down to the old lab and the rooms were probably under the Nelson pub. I was told that they were used for air-raid shelters during the war.