Sheffield Forum

Wadsley and Loxley Common

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
15-08-2012, 15:13   #1
bonxiedog
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Total Posts: 4
I've just heard that Sheffield City Council are going to put cattle on Wadsley Common. If anyone is against this, please visit the moonfruit site and on there you can put in stop the cows.
Thank You.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 15:22   #2
The Manager
Registered User
The Manager's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: hillsborough,sheffield
Total Posts: 5,636
Wots it harming ??
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 15:29   #3
Marber
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Total Posts: 392
Can you post a link please
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 15:33   #4
SYorksDeano
Registered User
SYorksDeano's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: S35
Total Posts: 5,522
Send a message via MSN to SYorksDeano Send a message via Skype™ to SYorksDeano
I can't believe that some people are getting into a 'beef' about it Some people need to mooooove along and find something else to complain about
_______
It makes me laugh when people think that you don't know that they are following you online.....
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 17:07   #5
matsalleh
Registered User
matsalleh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 4,210
What on earth are the council going to do that for?More information is needed
_______
Still a tax payer
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 17:09   #6
LeMaquis
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2011
Total Posts: 8,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by SYorksDeano View Post
I can't believe that some people are getting into a 'beef' about it Some people need to mooooove along and find something else to complain about
I hope you're not going to milk this for all it's worth.
_______
Vive La Résistance
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:13   #7
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,439
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by matsalleh View Post
What on earth are the council going to do that for?More information is needed
Bracken clearance plus getting rid of invasive tree species.

Lowland heath is a nationally scarce habitat that desperately needs protecting. The species it supports and it's levels of biodiversity mean that it is an important area.

There were proposals to put cattle on the site over ten years ago but complaints by dogwalkers and some Wadsley and Loxley Commoners meant it never happened.

Apparently they'd be happy if the common just became bracken and birch rather than heathland, as long as they can let their dogs run about free from fencing.

Cattle were introduced onto Wharncliffe Heath in order to manage the habitat there. I've no idea whether it was successful or not.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:16   #8
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,439
Send a message via MSN to taxman
More information and a consultation survey here.

Have a read and express your opinion accordingly
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:26   #9
gnvqsos
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 11,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMaquis View Post
I hope you're not going to milk this for all it's worth.
Its a moot point whether or not this is worth contesting,and its someone else's breed and butter at steak.Personally a ban would leave me feeling cheesed off.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:28   #10
Wardsbitter
Account Closed
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Total Posts: 402
Any comment on the Wadsley and Loxley Commoners site?
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:36   #11
Halibut
Hooked
Halibut's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: Next to the woods
Total Posts: 30,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonxiedog View Post
I've just heard that Sheffield City Council are going to put cattle on Wadsley Common. If anyone is against this, please visit the moonfruit site and on there you can put in stop the cows.
Thank You.
Why do you want to oppose this? The cows are part of a plan to preserve the site as lowland heath - a very valuable habitat.
_______
This machine kills fascists. Up the Roma! Porn kills love.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:36   #12
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,439
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardsbitter View Post
Any comment on the Wadsley and Loxley Commoners site?
No.


uyffhsdghjskdghsdfjgkulhdfkhgdfhk
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:43   #13
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,439
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Why do you want to oppose this? The cows are part of a plan to preserve the site as lowland heath - a very valuable habitat.
Maybe they wish to set up a dog boarding business and would like to use the Common to walk their dogs and don't want any pesky fences and regulations about keeping dogs on leads hampering them.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 18:54   #14
gnvqsos
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 11,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Maybe they wish to set up a dog boarding business and would like to use the Common to walk their dogs and don't want any pesky fences and regulations about keeping dogs on leads hampering them.


Far too many dogs and owners up there which have turned it into Sheffield largest litter tray.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 19:06   #15
Molls
Registered User
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: S6
Total Posts: 122
We're all for the cattle plan, what's more important - protecting a scarce habitat or providing one large dog toilet for lazy dog owners who have no respect for the habitat or others wishing to enjoy the area. We live a 5 minute walk from the common but no longer take my toddler there as its full of dog mess & stinks. He can't run about as he has ran/fell in dog muck, its everywhere. Beware lazy dog owners, we are watching you...prepare to be named & shamed.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 19:07   #16
metalman
Registered User
metalman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Total Posts: 6,554
From a personal point of view, I think I'd rather like to see some Highland cattle on Wadsley Common. But I don't have a dog. I do wonder though how long they'd stay there before somebody rustled them.

Edit: it does however sound as though the main reason behind it is money rather than anything else.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 19:10   #17
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,439
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molls View Post
We're all for the cattle plan, what's more important - protecting a scarce habitat or providing one large dog toilet for lazy dog owners who have no respect for the habitat or others wishing to enjoy the area. We live a 5 minute walk from the common but no longer take my toddler there as its full of dog mess & stinks. He can't run about as he has ran/fell in dog muck, its everywhere. Beware lazy dog owners, we are watching you...prepare to be named & shamed.
This is why SF needs a big LIKE button
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 19:12   #18
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,439
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnvqsos View Post
Far too many dogs and owners up there which have turned it into Sheffield largest litter tray.
Either by luck or judgement I think you've found the reason why some people are objecting to fences and the imposition of stricter rules about dogs on leads.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 19:22   #19
matsalleh
Registered User
matsalleh's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 4,210
I always thought that goats were the best for that sort of work
_______
Still a tax payer

Last edited by matsalleh; 15-08-2012 at 19:24.
  Reply With Quote
15-08-2012, 19:58   #20
gnvqsos
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Total Posts: 11,181
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Either by luck or judgement I think you've found the reason why some people are objecting to fences and the imposition of stricter rules about dogs on leads.
Cheers-its pure serendipity
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:48.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server