"Air Raid" siren in Tinsley.

Does anyone know which factory or company occaisionally tests their siren or just wants to scare the S*** out of us in Tinsley? It went off on Thursday morning. As if the row from the M1 and the police helicopter isn't enough!

When yo say 'air raid' do you mean like what you here in WW2 films etc?

I work near meadowhall and I thought I heard something like that in the distance. Yeah, sounded exactly like what you expect an air raid siren to sound like.

No idea who was setting it off. I remember about 18 months ago there was somewhere near town letting of a similar noise repeatedly over the period of a few days.

I used to live in Wakefield.

For a period of a couple of weeks in the early eighties, at the height of the cold war, there was a problem with the 'nuclear attack' warning system. Apparently it was attatched to a 'phone line, and the line went dodgy.

So it would go off at all hours. Remember standing at the bus stop one morning on the way to college when it went off. Thought "either it is another false alarm, or I will melt on this bus". It was truly a terrifiying experience.

I think the nuclear attack warning system has been stood down now, so probably not this, but it might be!

Originally posted by GabbleRatcht

I think the nuclear attack warning system has been stood down now, so probably not this, but it might be!

i think your right with this one.. i remember watching a programme about it and they decided it was best to not warn us as people would panic and run into the street therfor being more at risk.. but then again if the bomb dont get you the fallout after will!!!!!!

i know this is a bit morbid, but if a nuclear bomb hit us, I would like to be under it.

At least that way it's quick.

I work down that area but was off at the time so didn't hear it, but been told it was to do with a fire that was letting off poisonous fumes.

Guest paulhagerty

right on man, blah blah

When I lived at Tinsley some old bloke told me it was to warn workers that molten metal was about to be poured.

And on the subject of a nuclear bomb dropping, I also would want to be under it..........but knowing my luck it would hit me on the head..and not go off.:mad:

Originally posted by saxon51

[

And on the subject of a nuclear bomb dropping, I also would want to be under it..........but knowing my luck it would hit me on the head..and not go off.:mad: [/b]

No damage done there then :D

Originally posted by owdlad

No damage done there then :D

:mad: :mad: :mad:

It would bugger up my day though!:(

I used to live in Beckenham in South London and every so often one would go off down there too. And they don't have much molten metal down there.

Molten brains yes, metal no.