University tuition fees review

The Government is reviewing university tuition fees because courses with little prospect of fees being repaid are the same price as courses that give fantastic lifetime incomes.

Seems to me that some reform is overdue to reflect the value of course to the student.

Also, people who don't go to university could get a rebate instead of having to pay taxes to subsidise the people who do.

In September 2017 tuition fee interest rates were 6.1%; which is much higher than most mortgages, the Government seem to prefer to keep house prices high, than let students pay a low interest rate.

If the Government said all mortgages must be 3% above bank base rates, house prices would plummet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39577507

In September 2017 tuition fee interest rates were 6.1%; which is much higher than most mortgages, the Government seem to prefer to keep house prices high, than let students pay a low interest rate.

If the Government said all mortgages must be 3% above bank base rates, house prices would plummet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-39577507

Unlike a mortgage anything left owing after the term of a student loan is written off...not sure how mortgages are related to student loans though...

Unlike a mortgage anything left owing after the term of a student loan is written off...not sure how mortgages are related to student loans though...

Maybe at the minute, the government has shown a nasty habit of constantly tinkering with the student loans agreements and applying them to contracts signed previously.

The Government needs to look at ways to persuade young people that University isn’t the default option.

They could widen the loan scheme to encourage school leavers to do other things instead of heading to Middlesex University to study yoghurt weaving.

A loan on terms like the student loan to start a business might be good for many youngsters and for the economy. Or, maybe a loan could help them to survive whilst doing charitable work.

It would be cheaper for the tax payer too.

Edited by Naive

There is a balancing act to be achieved here.

Some degrees have a high value due to the potential income of their applicants. Eg Accountancy. Law. Etc.

Some degrees have a high value due to the potential of their applicants to enrich society. Eg Art. History. Etc.

Some degrees do both of the above. Eg Medical. Engineering. Etc.

Any degree falling outside of these three categories should really be considered self indulgent and charged appropriately.

Anything within these categories should be encouraged and heavily subsided by the people/government.

There is a balancing act to be achieved here.

Some degrees have a high value due to the potential income of their applicants. Eg Accountancy. Law. Etc.

Some degrees have a high value due to the potential of their applicants to enrich society. Eg Art. History. Etc.

Some degrees do both of the above. Eg Medical. Engineering. Etc.

Any degree falling outside of these three categories should really be considered self indulgent and charged appropriately.

Anything within these categories should be encouraged and heavily subsided by the people/government.

I sort of agree with you. I guess it had to happen one day:)

There is an argument for forcing the Universities to charge less for less “useful” degrees. That way, they will offer fewer of them as it will adversely affect their revenue to do so.

Quite weird how the party of the free market created a market and are now expressing surprise that it behaves like other markets, i.e. they charge as much as they can and the people at the top pay themselves more than they are worth.

I would like to know why UK has the highest charges in the EU (and I believe in the world,) I've never seen a breakdown of the charges. It's like they plucked a random figure out of the air.

Is there any differentiation based on timetabled hours for example? When I was at Uni (I admit quite a few years ago,) we were timetabled for 25 hours a week, which I believe was one of the highest attendence requirements, but some degree courses were only timetabled for 8 hours (manily arts) and a lot of students didn't even turn up for those.

I understand a lot of students now see themselves as paying clients, and expect value for money (quite right,) but they also seem to think this entitles them to a 1:1 degree and threaten to sue for 'poor teaching quality' if they don't get it, which opens up a whole hornet's nest. I heard that 40% of students now get double firsts...

So yes, the whole thing does need looking at.

Blair said education, education, education.

Which equates to, money, money, money.

Blair said education, education, education.

Which equates to, money, money, money.

Improving the overall education level of society is a bad thing why exactly?

---------- Post added 19-02-2018 at 22:24 ----------

The number of universities should be restricted and to be brutally honest, only the Russell Group universities are worth going to. The polytechnics should be reestablished. If you go to a Russell Group university, it should be on academic ability alone and should be free. For all else, you can pay for not measuring up.