How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong?

I know all towns and cities have their fair share of road planning blunders, but for such a small sparsely populated town like Sheffield it is disproportionately affected with terrible road junctions and appalling roundabouts. Park Square roundabout however is a very good piece of road design.

Park Square roundabout however is a very good piece of road design.

Now I know you're trolling :)

The problem isn't so much stupid planning as it is stupid driving

Park Square roundabout is a perfect case in point.

Sheffield drivers, having been restricted to single-lane roads almost everywhere outside of the ring-road, find it impossible to follow even the simplest rules of the road when it comes to negotiating Park Square roundabout. They don't know which lane to be in, or which exit to use, so you'll regularly see them driving across all four lanes of the roundabout. At the same time.

Yes. Definitely the city planners fault :roll:

Meadowhead roundabout.... rebuilt a couple of years ago, and again now.

It is a way of keeping otherwise unemployable people in work.

I know all towns and cities have their fair share of road planning blunders, but for such a small sparsely populated town like Sheffield it is disproportionately affected with terrible road junctions and appalling roundabouts. Park Square roundabout however is a very good piece of road design.

Whilst there are always mistake, town planning is a massive undertaking with countless restrictions and results in a heap of compromises. Even building a city from scratch you'll get some sections that just don't work.

Every junction's activity will have knock on effects to the flow of traffic in other areas, which then has knock on effects elsewhere.

I know there will always be people who say "just do this, it's simple" etc. but I can guarantee they won't understand town planning in the slightest.

If you think you can do better - apply to the council for a job & see how difficult it is! :)

Sheffield road planners don't make me laugh,, I would not pay them out in peanuts ,

Sheffield council Amy I'd sack the lot of them where they even dream some of the layouts from kids At 5 could do a better job big problem though is we the public pay them

Try Derbyshire County Council then for wasting public money......there is a boardwalk section of a local footpath they were sent to repair... They ripped up about 12 yards of perfectly good boardwalk at the start of the section to use the boards to repair other places, and left the 12 yards or so as a complete muddy bog. They left it at that, job finished. They have now been called back, and will reinstate the 12 yards, costing US £3200. In the next month or two, they say.....

Like I said, keeping the unemployable in work at our expense.

Have to agree just look at Chesterfield Road the money wasted on that ridiculous bus lane did not take an expert to tell you it would not work.

The road planning is deliberately poor, but on what scale is Sheffield small or sparsely populated?

---------- Post added 20-09-2017 at 09:27 ----------

Whilst there are always mistake, town planning is a massive undertaking with countless restrictions and results in a heap of compromises. Even building a city from scratch you'll get some sections that just don't work.

Every junction's activity will have knock on effects to the flow of traffic in other areas, which then has knock on effects elsewhere.

I know there will always be people who say "just do this, it's simple" etc. but I can guarantee they won't understand town planning in the slightest.

If you think you can do better - apply to the council for a job & see how difficult it is! :)

They openly admit that they make it difficult for motorists in the misguided belief that they'll all suddenly start catching the bus.

The road planning is deliberately poor, but on what scale is Sheffield small or sparsely populated?

They openly admit that they make it difficult for motorists in the misguided belief that they'll all suddenly start catching the bus.

I agree with you 100%. Took me nearly 40mins from Broomhill to Bramall Lane today. About a mile.

That said, I would rather sit in the ridiculous traffic than catch the bus.

And nowhere quite as bad as the Coventry ring-road.

but i got it in

Yes that is correct the council told me they dont want anyone in sheffieid to own a car they want everyoneent to catch the bus // This happened when i asked for permisiion for a drop kerb . Put every obstical in the way they could and i had to get a local councilor on board to get it through [ services in the pavement etc to near a junction but i got it in the end

Edited by spider1

The traffic system in Sheffield was designed by a demented monkey on acid