Does anyone remember anything about Attercliffe Baths?

I had swimming lessons there me and my dad had them at the same time.The teacher was called something like Mr Dowling.

Used to go to maltby street school in 60's.

Went to Attercliffe baths for lessons from school,also my mum worked at sandersons on Newhall road(where we lived)and I used to go to the baths every Tuesday I think as she was in the sports and social club at sandersons,loved it!

Also when she could afford it we went in the slipper baths for a treat,lovely steaming hot water coming out of taps,something we never had the luxury of at home and I still appreciate it nowadays.

We used to go to the wet fish shop on Attercliffe shops and she used to buy crab claws and I sat in the slipper baths with a grip and a crab claw,it was like heaven,also,had the luxury of a sachet of shampoo,silvikrin or super soft I think to wash my hair with bought from the corner shop(flahertys)oh happy days!

Also remember the fruit shop pierrepoints on Attercliffe shops,where the assistants stood behind a mountain of fruit and veg on an raised counter and you stood in the street to be served,the counter looked so large!Its still there to this day but boarded up and if you lived down there when you were young it's still worth a visit even though all the houses are gone,I do sometimes.

My mum was cashier at attercliffe baths remember managers Mr Parker then Mr Drinkall bath attendants Harry? hilda Cartwright opened for six in morning

I went from school every friday. I learnt to swim there. One or two good memories but you had to learn fast as at the end of the session we all had to line up by the deep end to receive our plastic tuppenny token to get the tram back to lane top.

The manager Mr Parker wouls ask after some five weeks in if you could swim, a "no" would get you thrown in!

Like I said, we learnt fast!!!

I went from school as well, late 50's early 60's. In the late 70's I worked at the bottom of Newhall road and went to the baths at lunchtime. Often there would be only two or three there. I'm sure the attendant was Harry, good man, smoked parkdrive while we swam. He coached me in swimming properly and improved my style dramatically.

A good man!