"accidentally" driving into the busgate on Bridge Street.

No it isn’t. He said you would only get caught if an operator catches you. But they don’t sit watching the screen all day, they rewind the footage and play it back when time permits.

But you only get caught if an operator is watching it live...

Which brings me back to my original point.

No it isn’t. He said you would only get caught if an operator catches you. But they don’t sit watching the screen all day, they rewind the footage and play it back when time permits.

There isn't someone constantly watching each bus gate / lane on a monitor separately 24/7, so not all contraventions are ever recorded on observed cameras. Which is why the observed cameras are being replaced with automatic ones.

The way that observed cameras should be operated is the operator sees the contravention in real time and records it, zooming/panning/tilting the camera sufficiently to record a video clip showing that the vehicle has actually contravened the restriction and showing the make / model colour and registration plate of the vehicle. That recording is then subsequently reviewed by another operator and only then is the penalty issued.

I'd think it highly unlikely that anyone could get the type of video clip required to support the issue of a penalty by pointing a camera at a fixed spot, setting the recorder going and reviewing the recording later.

The "evidence packs" produced by automatic cameras also have to be reviewed by a human operator before the penalty is actually issued.

Are you saying that you have actually seen the operators in Sheffield recording contraventions in the way you stated?

How many more people need to tell you that the footage is reviewed by rewinding it and registering defaulters.

---------- Post added 22-10-2017 at 14:26 ----------

There isn't someone constantly watching each bus gate / lane on a monitor separately 24/7, so not all contraventions are ever recorded on observed cameras. Which is why the observed cameras are being replaced with automatic ones.

The way that observed cameras should be operated is the operator sees the contravention in real time and records it, zooming/panning/tilting the camera sufficiently to record a video clip showing that the vehicle has actually contravened the restriction and showing the make / model colour and registration plate of the vehicle. That recording is then subsequently reviewed by another operator and only then is the penalty issued.

I'd think it highly unlikely that anyone could get the type of video clip required to support the issue of a penalty by pointing a camera at a fixed spot, setting the recorder going and reviewing the recording later.

The "evidence packs" produced by automatic cameras also have to be reviewed by a human operator before the penalty is actually issued.

Are you saying that you have actually seen the operators in Sheffield recording contraventions in the way you stated?

I have been in the cctv room at The Town Hall when operators have rewound Cctv footage, played it forward and recorded vehicles going through the bus lanes.

I have been in the cctv room at The Town Hall when operators have rewound Cctv footage, played it forward and recorded vehicles going through the bus lanes.

I've been in CCTV control rooms in Sheffield and Manchester and have watched them recording the contraventions in real time.

As I have constantly said, the recorded contraventions are then reviewed by a separate operator, so you will see people rewinding and checking footage.

I think we will have to agree to disagree about how its done..

Don't know nothing bout the room or how it's done.

But if someone doesn't know Sheffield well it could happen they go through busgate accidentally.

My question is do they treat an honest mistake with iron fist even when driver explains it is a genuine mistake. Or do they allow the odd person to get away with it as long as they don't do it again.

But if someone doesn't know Sheffield well it could happen they go through busgate accidentally.

Only if not concentrating properly whilst driving. The signs are easy to see if your looking. Shouldn't matter if your in a strange town, half reasonable observation skills will stop you driving through a bus gate.

Sheffield can be very confusing to drivers visiting. Have seen it myself and how they experience it. It's so confusing signs dealing with bus gates can be missed as visitor focus on the direction they go and gets confused when led in circles and confusing ways.

I disagree. I moved out in 99 and the city has changed drastically since then. I view the roads as a tourist now and don't seem to find a problem.