How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong?

You're right in that I haven't provided any proof. But you're wrong if you think that makes it an opinion, I've clearly made statements that I belief to be factual.

Christ, AJ Ayer must be spinning in his grave.

Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post

You're right in that I haven't provided any proof. But you're wrong if you think that makes it an opinion, I've clearly made statements that I belief to be factual.

You certainly have got it wrong, about a long gone roundabout

at Leppings Lane

That's because they kept the side roads open, as they were criticised for closing them off in the past.

You can't have it both ways..

Why do you have to have lights to control side roads ? You dont .

When you have a council that is so openly Anti Car , what else do you expect.

I don't think they are anti car given they do things that mess up efficient running of public transport too.

I think they just don't really get transport. Well at least the politician types don't anyway, there are probably good professional planners in both the council and SYPTE despairing...

Clay wheels lane sums it up. A traffic light in someone's garden, ok theres a block of 4 houses that use that drive but really :loopy:

About 30 years a go my old dad whilst driving on Penistone road used to say he wished he had shares in the traffic light company as there were so many springing up. There must be about 10 times as many now, it really is ridiculous.

How do Sheffield road planners get it so wrong?

Because they're from Sheffield?... *hides*

I also believe that traffic lights have a psychological effect on drivers.... you come to a junction where the lights are out and you will normally find drivers being more cautious and courteous in letting others out at the junction.

Park Square roundabout always felt like a better place to drive when the lights were out.

Clay wheels lane sums it up. A traffic light in someone's garden, ok theres a block of 4 houses that use that drive but really :loopy:

About 30 years a go my old dad whilst driving on Penistone road used to say he wished he had shares in the traffic light company as there were so many springing up. There must be about 10 times as many now, it really is ridiculous.

It's not just 4 houses though. It is the entrance to Niagra ground and Sheffield

police sport and social club!

When you have a council that is so openly Anti Car , what else do you expect.

Clearly not everyone agrees with you. Sheffield has just been found to be in the top three of the UK's most car friendly cities: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/ranked-the-most-car-friendly-cities-in-the-uk

The car is outmoded for cities but central government won't help with mass transit outside of their own little bubble-London.

Clearly not everyone agrees with you. Sheffield has just been found to be in the top three of the UK's most car friendly cities: https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-article/ranked-the-most-car-friendly-cities-in-the-uk

I've read the article but I can't see any sample size, confidence levels, etc.

And there's no factoring-in of road planning there, anyway.

Thing I like on penistone while ime driving on it is the cycle path that runs nearly the full length of it now,as I pass yet another cyclist driving on the road(until next set of lights stop me and they go up the inside of me)my point is if they don't use it why keep spending money on cycle paths red tarmac costs more than black how much did the road widening outside emr cost just to make a shared fway