Another new bar - The Old Workshop, Neepsend

A new bar opens to the public tonight in Neepsend. It's a joint venture and involves Tom from The Beer Engine so it might be good.

Article about it in Exposed here

A new bar opens to the public tonight in Neepsend. It's a joint venture and involves Tom from The Beer Engine so it might be good.

Article about it in Exposed here

Yeah I know Tom and have seen pics of the interior, Looks good. Sadly won't make it there for a couple of weeks tho. So be interested to know what people think.

I went in here yesterday. I liked it. It's very light and airy(No idea why I'm using those words to describe a pub but they are the ones that come to mind).

I don't drink ale so can't comment on the booze options from that angle but they sell Aspalls which is the one of the better options for mainstream ciders.

It was very relaxed. Feels a bit like the sort of place trendy cities have had for a while but we've not really had. Mixture of clientelle just sitting around doing talking.

I went in recently and its definitely a after work place, no casks at all and they have about 7ish keg lines, not that inspiring to be honest, but things might change in a few weeks.

I went in recently and its definitely a after work place, no casks at all and they have about 7ish keg lines, not that inspiring to be honest, but things might change in a few weeks.

Thanks for the tip Pete. Might give it a couple of weeks before I go check it out. Depending on what the weather is doing this weekend.

What is an "after work place"? Can't people go anywhere after work?

There tend to be certain places that people pop into after work due to the proximity to their workplace. Three Tuns always did quite well from the HSBC offices, for example.

This new place was described to me as quite a good `event space`. I `ll get there soon no doubt and I expect the keg lines to be expertly chosen.

There tend to be certain places that people pop into after work due to the proximity to their workplace. Three Tuns always did quite well from the HSBC offices, for example.

This new place was described to me as quite a good `event space`. I `ll get there soon no doubt and I expect the keg lines to be expertly chosen.

Was planning on visiting this weekend, but if this place is not completely off the ground yet then I'm not so sure. Last time around Kelham was disappointing. Shakespeares was OK, as was Welly, but not of a decent range in the rest and, dare I say, the quality of the beer in the Fat Cat was downright ropey!

Do you mean not "completely off the ground" as in you'd want cask beers or different keg beers?

Sheffield beer scene still `dying on its knees` Dan?

oh gawd don't set him off ... lol

I have heard of a micropub opening in Woodseats... don't know when or where.

Stancill are opening a pub in town centre ... not sure where that is either

Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open? DaDa, Anchorage, Hop, West St Ale House, Stone and Taps... they are only the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Plus, did you read what Dave said on the Shakespeare thread? The best of the Sheffield brewers sell more beer in Nottingham than they do in Sheffield. Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.

As a Sheffielder are you proud of this? Really? I AM a Sheffielder and I am not. I moved back to this area with high expectations a few years ago, and they have all been dashed. Pretty much everyone else I know from outside the city thinks the same way. Just happens that those that inhabit it seem to wear blinkers.

You think that one new bar can make up for this? I've said before that one bar does not a city make. Sheffield may have half a dozen good bars - at a push. Unfortunately even towns like Huddersfield have more than that. As for a new micropub opening in Woodseats, Pete - woooo! Exciting. Barnsley has had 3 new micropubs open in the last 2 months. Well donr for trying to catch up!

Fortunately it's SunFest next weekend. At least that gives me an excuse to come into Sheffield.