Firwood Cottage, Reopening as The Blind Monkey

From what Ive heard Andy is getting out of the pub business so that has put the whole chain in some doubt. Rutland, Old Crown, Closed Shop, Punch Bowl, 3 Tuns . Rutland is a free house, some of the others are Punch.

But yes I agree the Closed Shop is still as busy as ever

Get Chris Bamford and Kate involved I'd say.

Guest makapaka
I have also objected. In all honesty, parking is an issue and there is already enough road rage in these parts, Walkley Road corner causes many a scene.

They'll not reject it on parking. The only way that's staying as a pub is if someone else buys it.

At 195k with living space above to rent out that's gotta be attractive to someone wanting a decent pub.

Near the Blake an walkley beer company - could be great and letting out upstairs would offset part of mortgage / loan.

I'd do it if I had the beans.

All Walkley residents should object to the planned proposal of a hmo even if you dont use the Firwood cottage. Here is my objection i have posted.

'We as residents and business owners are strongly objecting to yet another halfway house in the area as there is already a hmo just a few doors away from the Firwood (#31 & 31a Whitehouse Rd, for all residents who are unaware) Over the years this halfway house has caused us all on Whitehouse Rd a problem with the occupants.

We have made several complaints/reports to the authorities about the people living in their multiple occupancy residence which over time has included young people, unemployed, paedophiles, drug addicts, criminals etc. It was even been run as a brothel for a while when a prostitute and friends were housed there. We are already in an area with high crime levels and do not need to encourage more criminal activity or persons likely to be involved in criminal activity.

We as a community can not handle losing another public amenity, one of the few remaining public houses in the area, which is currently open, well managed and enjoyed by the community.'

ow.ly/zyAm308GbOa is the link to go to object. The current halfway house has 4 tenants, this new one is set to have 12 bedrooms. This can not happen, don't forget Walkley primary School is just across the road.

Guest makapaka
All Walkley residents should object to the planned proposal of a hmo even if you dont use the Firwood cottage. Here is my objection i have posted.

'We as residents and business owners are strongly objecting to yet another halfway house in the area as there is already a hmo just a few doors away from the Firwood (#31 & 31a Whitehouse Rd, for all residents who are unaware) Over the years this halfway house has caused us all on Whitehouse Rd a problem with the occupants.

We have made several complaints/reports to the authorities about the people living in their multiple occupancy residence which over time has included young people, unemployed, paedophiles, drug addicts, criminals etc. It was even been run as a brothel for a while when a prostitute and friends were housed there. We are already in an area with high crime levels and do not need to encourage more criminal activity or persons likely to be involved in criminal activity.

We as a community can not handle losing another public amenity, one of the few remaining public houses in the area, which is currently open, well managed and enjoyed by the community.'

ow.ly/zyAm308GbOa is the link to go to object. The current halfway house has 4 tenants, this new one is set to have 12 bedrooms. This can not happen, don't forget Walkley primary School is just across the road.

I agree. It's up for sale though not sold. Someone needs to make an alternative proposal.

Chris - you're embedded in the area with your business (if you are who I think you are) could a group of businesses / locals get together with ideas / finance and turn this into a positive?

Their was an pub opposite the Firwood Cottage the Bell Vue its now flats. Before anyone puts their hands into their pocket you need to view the books to see how trade is now and if it can be improved. One idea could be keep the public bar but turn the rest into flats if their is any land at the back big enough build perhaps an bungalow I'm not familiar this pub to know what is what just ideas.

From what Ive heard Andy is getting out of the pub business so that has put the whole chain in some doubt. Rutland, Old Crown, Closed Shop, Punch Bowl, 3 Tuns . Rutland is a free house, some of the others are Punch.

But yes I agree the Closed Shop is still as busy as ever

I thought they were all Reet Pub Co. pubs.

I thought they were all Reet Pub Co. pubs.

I think the closed shop is still on a Punch tenancy with the arrangement 4 beers from Punch and 4 that the pub can choose themselves (including reet)

http://www.sheffieldtelegraph.co.uk/news/how-the-closed-shop-pub-closed-and-opened-again-1-5573217

Its not listed as such on Punch website although the Old Crown is

I think the closed shop is still on a Punch tenancy with the arrangement 4 beers from Punch and 4 that the pub can choose themselves (including reet)

That certainly makes sense given what's always on offer on the bar - the middle 4 pumps always contain the likes of Black Sheep / Bombadier / Doombar / Brains etc.

This may change for the worse if Heineken get their way :rolleyes:

It sounds a rum do, not much communication.

However, anyone can apply for planning on a building, they don't have to own it or tell anyone. The planning department do the stat. stuff.

I still think it would make a good Free house.

I hope it stays a pub. Let's not pretend it's a good pub at the moment though.

Maybe the threat of a new (and possibly unwelcome for some people) use for the building will mean it can instead become a pub worth visiting once more.