Anyone from the Kelvin 1951 to Demolition

I lived on Portland Street and it's sad to see it now, although there are still parts that I still recognise, there are still traces of the old area.

The final nail in the coffin was when I found out last year about Daniel Hill School being demolished, what a waste of a great building.

I had aunts wjo lived at Westmoreland Street during the 50's and 60's .

Another aunt had the corner shop on Daniel Hill and Westmorland Street.

Mum used to take the laundry every Monday to the Public Laundry on Daniel Hill - now there are scenes that probably will never be repeated

my mother used to live in canarvan steet (if thats how you spell it) but that was back in the 40s

I have vague memories of the old Kelvin area before the flats…..keeping hold of the pram walking towards West Don Street. My mother told me that the Sally Army place always did well. She was very proud to be the May Queen in 1952.

Does anyone know the Bennett-Pitts or England family from around there?

I remember the corner shop at the top of Daniel Hill. Used to walk past it on the way home.

Also remember trhe wash house, I have spent many a time in there with my mother.

Anybody go to Daniel Hill school?

How did Kelvin flats get that name? I know a lot of the 'streets' on the block had their names taken from local roads, but was / is there a Kelvin Road / Street etc?

I was one of the last tennants on Kelvin!! There were 3 of us left on the top floor (Edith Walk), me and my daughter and another bloke. I lived there for 8 years and was involved with the clearance programme.

I loved the place and cried when I left. I kept my flat key and sneaked back before they fenced it all off. I went in my flat and the workmen had tipped all my furniture over and made a real mess. I tidied the flat up and sat there for ages. How sad is that eh?!!

I have loads of photos which I did start uploading onto a website. Unfortunatley, life has got in the way so it's got pushed to one side lately. Anyway click HERE if you want to see what I started and will aim to finish one day!!!

Good site FetishFairy early days yet, but you can see it will be a good one, ill have another look in a couple of months,

Anyone here know of Thomas Demain or his wife Trish? I think? Just curious :confused:

I HAD MATES THAT LIVED IN THE SKY, I LIVED ON LOFTHOUSE RD AT HILLS, IVE BEEN LOOKING AT YOUR PICS AND THINK THAT YOUR VERY LUCKY TO HAVE THE PICS TO GO WITH THE MEMORIES, I WISH THAT I COULD FIND PICS OF LOFTHOUSE RD THATS GONE TOO... I MISS THE OLD HILLSBROUGH. BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE.:(

I was one of the last tennants on Kelvin!! There were 3 of us left on the top floor (Edith Walk), me and my daughter and another bloke. I lived there for 8 years and was involved with the clearance programme.

I loved the place and cried when I left. I kept my flat key and sneaked back before they fenced it all off. I went in my flat and the workmen had tipped all my furniture over and made a real mess. I tidied the flat up and sat there for ages. How sad is that eh?!!

I have loads of photos which I did start uploading onto a website. Unfortunatley, life has got in the way so it's got pushed to one side lately. Anyway click HERE if you want to see what I started and will aim to finish one day!!!

Do you remember the Umevere's? They lived on Edith Walk til the end.

i lived on kelvin on woollen walk i was on the last tennants ass' attending meeting with faceless councilors when i left there couldn't have been more than 20 flats occupied