Playing for time?

I've been switching my router off twice a day but when it's switched on I've been getting downloads arriving with less than a complete screen of information followed by a blank space, followed by a further fraction of a screen and so on until the screen is full. Sometimes I get a full screen which doesn't stream as it should, making the video etc jerky. I ran the tests that Talk Talk asked of me but that didn't reveal much. So I reckoned my router was to blame. When I asked them for a replacement router they told me to leave the one I've got (which is well over 10 years old) switched on 24/7 for 10 days and see how it behaves. They said if then I still get the problem I've been getting they will replace the router. My question is this:- how can a router sort itself out over a 10 day period? Are they playing some sort of game with me? I cannot get any sense on this from TT. What does anyone think please?

When you're on a DSL connection (via the phone line) some equipment in the change monitors your line and connection, it watches the speed, and stability, and quality of the signal...

if it detects bad quality, or drop outs, it will reduce your speed, to try and stabilize the conenction, to stop it dropping out...

When you turn your router off, then back on, - the exchange may detect this as a drop-out, and reduce your speed as a result.. turning off/on multiple times per day will increase the likenesses of that happening...

the '10 days' is a standard grace period for the line speed to stabilize to the best speeds for the line..

Routers are designed to be turned on, and left on...

Woolyhead - why are you switching your router off twice a day? As has been said, and for the reasons Ghozer has mentioned you should leave it on 24/7. Follow the instructions given by TalkTalk, do some speed tests and then contact the company again at the end of the 10 day period. As your router is 10 years old, a new one wouldn't come amiss though.

Thanks guys. I take on board what you say and will do what's necessary. The reason I have been turning the router off may sound pathetic but this is it:- my wife is neurotic about the possibility of starting a fire if the router is left on when we go shopping etc or go to bed. I know, I know, but rather than upset her again I do what she wants. Now that you have told me the reason for leaving it on she may well take note and agree. I'll show her your posts. Much obliged for your help Gozer and Jomie.

Thanks guys. I take on board what you say and will do what's necessary. The reason I have been turning the router off may sound pathetic but this is it:- my wife is neurotic about the possibility of starting a fire if the router is left on when we go shopping etc or go to bed. I know, I know, but rather than upset her again I do what she wants. Now that you have told me the reason for leaving it on she may well take note and agree. I'll show her your posts. Much obliged for your help Gozer and Jomie.

No worries..

But, if your router is as old as you say, you should be entitled to a new one (no charge) pretty much any ISP should give you one without trouble...

I would advise to look into that also, as 10 years is quite a long time to be honest...

One of these may put her mind at ease:

https://tinyurl.com/ybw3szpz

I don't see why it would, that has nothing to do with stopping fires and a consumer router CAN'T leak to earth as the earth is not connected. Also, any relatively modern wired house already will have the sockets on an RCD back at the distribution board anyway.

The only thing that would do a thing to reduce fires is an arc fault breaker and I'm not aware of any plug-in ones other than the one Microsoft made for the original Xbox after they had arcing problems in their PSUs.

That said, the only PSUs I have heard of catching fire are cheap chinese ones. The ones which come with routers have all passed UK standards. You have a much higher chance of being run over by a bus.

Thank you all once more. Our house already has an earth current circuit breaker but some women are irrational! Anyway I've left the router switched on for 24 hours again with no problem. Incidentally the green "Internet" light goes red when I'm not using my computer. Is that normal?

Thank you all once more. Our house already has an earth current circuit breaker but some women are irrational! Anyway I've left the router switched on for 24 hours again with no problem. Incidentally the green "Internet" light goes red when I'm not using my computer. Is that normal?

I wouldn't think so. You definitely don't have it set to disconnect on idle?

I don't seem to have a way of doing or undoing that Alex. Any idea how or where I can? But look, this morning the internet light was solid green before I tried going to Sheffield Forum's address, then it flickered a bit, now it's solid again. Perhaps things are improving?

I don't seem to have a way of doing or undoing that Alex. Any idea how or where I can? But look, this morning the internet light was solid green before I tried going to Sheffield Forum's address, then it flickered a bit, now it's solid again. Perhaps things are improving?

Depending on router model flicker may just be as something accesses the web

I would go back to the first idea, see if you can get them to send you a new router especially if its not going to cost you anything.

If the capacitors have dried out due to age/heat (older routers could run quite hot internally) then random issues are pretty much guaranteed. This way you can at least eliminate the router as the source of the problem. Its probably going to perform better anyway, especially if you use WiFi.