Improve your Win10 Pro Gaming experience

Have you experienced slow down in on-line games? For some time now I swapped from my aged Dongle (Netgear WG111 v.3) for hard wire connection via power line adapter. Had the drive in mothballs for some months now and first off found this very helpful site for drivers that work for said dongle in Windows 10:

http://violetpear.com/blog/tips/netgear-wg111v3-wifi-drivers-for-windows-8/

and then after a Windows graphics card update (nVidia GT620) some online games started to go in slow mo and this is how you rectify that issue - in XP the M$ bandwidth reserve was set at 20 in 10 it is 80! (Run: gpedit.msc and alter the reserved network bandwidth that M$ holds back for updates!):

Enjoy gaming at it's normal speed and if you have an nVidia Graphics card updatte to the proprietary driver of 388.31

[Running Insider Pro 1709)

According to the documentation I just read: "This value limits the combined bandwidth reservations of all programs running on the system."

I certainly haven't seen it affect Win10 downloads on Steam, but then I use Gigabit ethernet or 802.11ac, both would have a much higher link speed than my broadband so naturally cause no issues.

In your case what I think is happening is its limiting the speed to 80% your WiFi link rate, which if that is a bit low is obviously not that great. That said, you'd need a VERY low WiFi link speed for it to throttle online gaming so I'd be looking to try and improve that as latency is likely impacted too at that point.

Edited by AlexAtkin

Indeed, I have transferred files over my Gb LAN @ around 120MB/s (approx 960mbps)

Also, my steam/origin/uplay downloads seem to be @ full speed, I get around 47MB/s peak from most of them, most of the time!

OK, perhaps I should have given examples. It has been a while since I had the Win 10 drive in the hotswap slot in the CoolerMaster Silencio tower - I was talking of the games you install via Microsoft's Store e.g., Shadow Fight 2 - after installing some updates everything was in slow motion - the gpedit.msc tip fixed that. ;)

Windows Store apps/games, enough said. ;)

Guess I will find out next time I try and play Forza Horizon 3 online.

OK, perhaps I should have given examples. It has been a while since I had the Win 10 drive in the hotswap slot in the CoolerMaster Silencio tower - I was talking of the games you install via Microsoft's Store e.g., Shadow Fight 2 - after installing some updates everything was in slow motion - the gpedit.msc tip fixed that. ;)

Windows Store apps are the same, Downloaded something from there last night . (free flight sim thingy) again, at full speed!

Oh well, doesn't bother me, so I won't worry :)

Windows Store is flaky in general, so any problems I would always assume are temporary. Sometimes it outright refuses to let me update or install anything, this has been the case ever since it launched and I just shrug it off and try again later.

Windows Store is flaky in general, so any problems I would always assume are temporary. Sometimes it outright refuses to let me update or install anything, this has been the case ever since it launched and I just shrug it off and try again later.

Can't say I have experienced any problems with Windows Store, but then, it's not like I use it all that often either!

Hi Ghozer, not store itself being the issue, I meant the free games (/apps) from the store that are internet HTML5 based games. ;)

So you mean they run live from the Internet rather than downloading the content and running it on your PC?

I believe they are a 'hybrid' - a bit like a phone app - it installs to the machine but 'bonuses' require an internet connection or certain arenas, like Challenge in Shadow Fight 2 will sometimes report, "you need an internet connection" which I thought I had resolved but dongle connection is up and down. Bizarrely last night after certain time it played faster than normal! (Whilst downloading/updating Blacklight Retribution).

I believe they are a 'hybrid' - a bit like a phone app - it installs to the machine but 'bonuses' require an internet connection or certain arenas, like Challenge in Shadow Fight 2 will sometimes report, "you need an internet connection" which I thought I had resolved but dongle connection is up and down. Bizarrely last night after certain time it played faster than normal! (Whilst downloading/updating Blacklight Retribution).

The 'mobile type' apps yes, but if you say, buy an AA title, such as Injusticeâ„¢ 2 (which is on the store) you download the FULL game, and don't need an internet connection once it's downloaded...

Just like with most, Steam, Origin, uPlay etc...