Drivers fined for avoiding emergency vehicles.

I have just received my regular E.mail news letter from the RAC.There is an excellent article saying thousands of drivers are being fined for committing offences when moving out of the way to let emergency vehicles through.If a driver goes into a bus lane or a box junction they may collect a fine,if a driver goes through a red light,even very slowly,they may collect a fine plus 3 penalty points.Apparently rule 219 says drivers should move out of the way for emergency vehicles but all rules of the road will still apply and therefore drivers are liable to prosecution when breaking them.Drivers can of course appeal if they think they have been badly treated but it is by no means certain the appeal will be successful.It would seem then that the sensible thing for drivers to do is just stop where they are if they have to break the law to make room for the emergency vehicle,after all why should they risk collecting a £100 fine for doing what they think is the correct thing.Drivers should also bear in mind that only the police have the legal right to tell them to move.We have yet another case of the inmates taking over the asylum,the law wants amending.

Emergency responders do not expect you to break the law.

No the law is fine and functions. The last thing emergency services want is people putting themselves or others at risk.

It is that simple.

See -

219.Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

The Highway Code.

I wonder where they get the statistic that thousands are being fined?

See -

219.Emergency and Incident Support vehicles. You should look and listen for ambulances, fire engines, police, doctors or other emergency vehicles using flashing blue, red or green lights and sirens or flashing headlights, or Highways Agency Traffic Officer and Incident Support vehicles using flashing amber lights. When one approaches do not panic. Consider the route of such a vehicle and take appropriate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs. If necessary, pull to the side of the road and stop, but try to avoid stopping before the brow of a hill, a bend or narrow section of road. Do not endanger yourself, other road users or pedestrians and avoid mounting the kerb. Do not brake harshly on approach to a junction or roundabout, as a following vehicle may not have the same view as you.

The Highway Code.

Daily Mail, and by statistics it really means made-up horse ****.

I've linked to this video before, but this seems an appropriate thread to include it again.

Blue Light Aware video

In my opinion, well worth a few minutes of your time.

If Puggie and Tzijlstra at posts 2and3 above really believe what they have put, I suggest that the next time they are stuck at red lights and an emergency vehicle comes behind them with siren blaring and lights flashing,they just stay there until the lights change to green and see what happens.They will soon find out they will be expected to break the law.

All emergency vehicles are expected to turn off sirens if behind vehicles at red lights.

I have got used to a practice of leaving space between me and the vehicle in front or the solid line. This is to give me chance to manoeuvre should the need arise.

EDIT:

It appears that the stopping of sirens is only policy in some regions and not national.

Edited by cgksheff

I wish that drivers wouldn't automatically stop and freeze when they see a blue light.

The number of times I've been sat at green traffic lights whilst everyone tries to move to the side for an ambulance. Just drive through the now green lights, and then slow/stop where there's actually some room!

All emergency vehicles are expected to turn off sirens if behind vehicles at red lights.

I have got used to a practice of leaving space between me and the vehicle in front or the solid line. This is to give me chance to manoeuvre should the need arise.

Expected is the operative word here.Emergency vehicle drivers just don't do this,in fact some of them just turn them on in a situation like this,this can be after approaching quietly instead of having warning systems operating at all times,I have even seen them start hooting to try and get vehicles to move.

Could be red light cameras in London, they're all over the place in some areas.

I wish that drivers wouldn't automatically stop and freeze when they see a blue light.

The number of times I've been sat at green traffic lights whilst everyone tries to move to the side for an ambulance. Just drive through the now green lights, and then slow/stop where there's actually some room!

This, are they panicking? are they not paying attention? Have they forgotten where they are or what they're doing??

It's even worse when you're on the opposite carriageway and people start slamming their brakes on, even when there's a central reservation between you!!!

I wonder when this rule 219 was brought into operation,I suspect it was decades ago when there was very little traffic on the road and it was quite easy to move to one side.Nowadays roads are chock a block and this is almost an impossibility.Drivers therefore panic and they are not helped by the arrogance of the emergency driver.Of course both the government and councils are happy to collect the fines.