Incredibly unpleasant smell, Rutland Road, 12/08/15

Anyone walking/driving down Rutland Road, about 8pm on Tuesday, notice a really horrendous pungent smell there?, it was overwhelming, worse than anything you get at Tinsley, I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity(MCS) and I think it has made me quite ill.

useful answers only please.

There are allsorts of firms on and near Rutland road. Could be emanating from anyone of them. Or maybe some sort off flame retardant has been sprayed all around the ski village site.

I have Multiple Chemical Sensitivity(MCS)

No you don't - many trials have shown that "sufferers" of this when presented with their supposed triggers and placebos have exactly the same response rate.

useful answers only please.

It is a useful answer, but you probably don't consider it to be one.

No you don't - many trials have shown that "sufferers" of this when presented with their supposed triggers and placebos have exactly the same response rate.

Your response is going to go down well with the op:)!

I don't think you are in a position to judge this person's condition. Are you a doctor? Even if you are do you know this person? Perhaps you can present further details of these "trials" before rubbishing his claims?

I don't think you are in a position to judge this person's condition. Are you a doctor? Even if you are do you know this person? Perhaps you can present further details of these "trials" before rubbishing his claims?

You will probably need library access...

Gots RE (1995). "Multiple chemical sensitivities--public policy". J. Toxicology Clinical Toxicology. 33(2):111–3. - ""The phenomenon of multiple chemical sensitivities is a peculiar manifestation of our technophobic and chemophobic society. It has been rejected as an established organic disease by the American Academy of Allergy and Immunology, the American Medical Association, the California Medical Association, the American College of Physicians, and the International Society of Regulatory Toxicology and Pharmacology. It may be the only ailment in existence in which the patient defines both the cause and the manifestations of his own condition"

Bornschein S, Hausteiner C, Rommelt H, Nowak D, Forstl H, Zilker T. (2008) - "Double blind placebo controlled provocation study in patients with subjective Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) and matched control subjects". Clinical Toxicology (Phila).

J. Das-Munshi, G. J. Rubin, S. Wessely, "Multiple chemical sensitivities: A systematic review of provocation studies". Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. 118, pp1257-1264 (2006)

Knock yourself out....

At the risk of bringing this back on topic, could the smells be anything to do with the toxic waste dumped at Parkwood landfill site?

They do seem to get worse in hot weather.

At the risk of bringing this back on topic, could the smells be anything to do with the toxic waste dumped at Parkwood landfill site?

Could be - i noticed the smell close to the site was that same, pretty horrible smell the other day.

It will be the tip.

Been to dump it in Barnsley yesterday and the stench was awful, didn't want the same again so I called at beighton instead today but that was as bad.

Perversely I never used to notice bad smells in summer but since my hay fever was cured I'm constantly getting the odd whiff :gag: could be me mind. :D

What sort of toxic waste?

What sort of toxic waste?

the sort that turns your willy illiminatous green

Makes you wonder why people bother with these sorts of comments.

'no sense of humour gamezone'