Perseid meteor shower tonight

It's perfect weather just now for seeing the meteor shower over Sheffield - I've seen two shooting stars in the last 10 minutes, so you won't need to stay up until the 4am peak...

I've been watching since 930pm.

Saw 2 quite big meteors and loads of shooting stars.

Getting set for the back garden now, apparently, north east is the best direction to watch..

I've just got back from taking my daughter to see some outside the Sportsman at Redmires. There were quite a few people from the Sheffield Astronomical Society there, so must be a preferred spot ( I presume they're not going to pick a bad viewing spot).

We saw a few, plus the International Space Station went past while we were there, so a couple of hours well spent.

I don't know that my daughter was that bothered, but it's a couple of things she can say she has seen, the perseids and the ISS.

Edited by Eater Sundae

Monday night watching them in North Norfolk on the beach. Tonight there's a group gathering up on Bole Hill. Saw about 5 including 2 really bright ones in just 15 mins. Back out again later

Just popped out about ten mins ago and saw a faint one.

Saw a mega bright one last night in Nottinghamshire. Wondered what it was, and then was reminded an hour or so later that it was the time for meteors.

Saw one tonight that left a bright trail and you could hear it!

Like a whoosh as it burnt up, biggest ive ever seen.

Saw one tonight that left a bright trail and you could hear it!

Like a whoosh as it burnt up, biggest ive ever seen.

Not sure that's true, most are travelling that fast that the sound will be heard (a boom) around 5 mins after you see it pass overhead. Although sometimes they do create soundwaves which make the earth vibrate which will be you're ear making you think its the meteor.

Its true alright, ive no need to lie about it.

I definitely heard it.

They are 40-70 miles up in the atmosphere - they can reflect earth produced radio waves though that interfere with stuff, in fact many astronomers use this to method to count/observe them.

I saw a dozen or so in an hour, too light polluted here to get see the faint ones. Saw a very bright Iridium flare too.

They are 40-70 miles up in the atmosphere - they can reflect earth produced radio waves though that interfere with stuff, in fact many astronomers use this to method to count/observe them.

I saw a dozen or so in an hour, too light polluted here to get see the faint ones. Saw a very bright Iridium flare too.

For many years the University of Sheffield ran a meteor radar system from its site at Bradfield.