Stannington in the snow-does it get closed off.

I went to Stanington recently. I’d never been there before, and I did not realise just how hilly it is. I was in the Deer Park flats area initially, which although is up quite a large hill was not too bad. Then, I dropped someone off near Bowl hill area and thought that the hills around that part would surely be closed-off for traffic in the winter if there is 3 or 4 inches of snow (unless there has been gritting).

Being high ground, I’m sure there will invariably be more snow fall. Anyone on here from those parts? How do you manage in bad winters with access?

I was brought up at Stannington - in the village further up the hill than Deer Park and it does get cut off by the snow.

The buses will stop even trying to get up Stannington hill as soon as the snow begins to 'stick'.

True Stanningtonians know to always have a shovel and your wellies in the boot of your car as there may be no snow in the city centre but many inches by the time you get to the top of Stannington proper - at the 'top house' pub.

yep lived up near the infant school most of my life, if it's bad at deer park you've not much chance further up. saying that my snow socks did the trick last year, didn't get stuck at all while everyone was slipping and sliding:)

Last of 2014 early 2015 snow nearly gone just above (refurbished/reopened) Top House!

Last of 2014 early 2015 snow nearly gone just above (refurbished/reopened) Top House!

You're not being charged per word you know. You can post full worded sentences for free. :)

You're not being charged per word you know. You can post full worded sentences for free. :)

Talking of words, why are so many people inserting 'for' in front of 'free' these days?!

Unsure why, but it bloody infuriates me!

The snow line starts and ends at the now defunct Sportsman Inn the old village boundary.Any thing above the Sportsman in the village expect worse conditions than the area below the Sportsman now known as the district of Stannington,down to Malin Bridge!

Havn't you been told you have to get a sledge and Husky's?

The snow line starts and ends at the now defunct Sportsman Inn the old village boundary.Any thing above the Sportsman in the village expect worse conditions than the area below the Sportsman now known as the district of Stannington,down to Malin Bridge!

That`s a good defined marker, but not knowing the area well enough, can you tell me is the Sportsman (snow line) before Deer park view or after?

The Sportsman is higher up the hill than Deer Park. Being a true Stanningtonian who was both born and brought up above the Sportsman I would argue that Deer Park is Stannington - that goes for Roscoe, Malin Bridge and the Woodlands but I will be shouted down by those who live below the Sportsman and want to call it Stannington.:)

I believe these days the area between the Sportsman and Malin Bridge is known as 'District of Stannington'.

Stannington Village is the area above the Sportman.

Regards