Sheffield Forum
Your message here

60s RAF open day

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

25-11-2017, 04:31   #1
stephen 7

Total Posts: 75
Does anyone remember an raf air base somewhere between gleadless townsend and norton ,i remember going to an open day when i would have been about 10 in the early 60s and saw a huge vulcan bomber with the same wingspan as a concord dont know if it landed or just flew over as i cant remember how big the air base was
25-11-2017, 06:28   #2
kevvy

Total Posts: 786
Yes, the place is a Driving Instruction place now.
25-11-2017, 08:39   #3
hillsbro

Total Posts: 6,348
There was an annual open day at R.A.F. Norton, with flypasts etc. There are several old threads - see here for example.
_______
Live like you mean it.
27-11-2017, 10:29   #4
Person6

Total Posts: 159
I went on several occasions and I still have a programme from one open day filed away somewhere. There were usually a number of smaller aircraft on static display and a flying display but, from memory, I can only remember helicopters actually landing there.
28-11-2017, 08:16   #5
Peter Tottle

Total Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen 7 View Post
Does anyone remember an raf air base somewhere between gleadless townsend and norton ,i remember going to an open day when i would have been about 10 in the early 60s and saw a huge vulcan bomber with the same wingspan as a concord dont know if it landed or just flew over as i cant remember how big the air base was
Hi, when I lived in Heeley, in the mid 50's I joined the Royal Auxilary Airforce Regiment, and had to go to RAF Norton at the weekends to do my training and I slept over on the Saturday evening in one of the long wooden hut accomodations. There were also Radar operations and maintenance. I was a Wireless Mechanic and working with a regular airman, we fitted Collins Recievers and Transmitters into our Land Rovers. The station was mainly a Radar maintenance unit of various types and a Barrage Ballon unit during the WWII.
I never saw a Vulcan there, but then I got called up to do my National Service in 1958 ,and was posted to Gardigton to do my recruit (Square Bashing).

Last edited by Peter Tottle; 28-11-2017 at 08:44.
Reply To Topic