Sheffield in the 60s DVD - Previously Unseen Film

Hello all,

Just to let you know, me and a friend have spent the past 6 months putting together a DVD of previously unseen film taken in and around Sheffield in the early 1960s.

The films were shot on 8mm cine film by an amateur as home movie footage and we are guessing that this has never been seen outside close friends and family. They were on a total of 16 reels of film which we have had to copy, edit and re-arrange into some kind of logical sequence.

We are very pleased with the end result, but the cost of doing this has been very expensive but well worth it as we wanted it to be made available to the wider public as it was almost lost forever when we rescued it.

We now have a DVD which is over one hour long and is divided into 6 separate chapters - "Sheffield Parks", "Views and Events", "Sheffield Trams", "Tinsley Park Works", "Sheffield at Leisure" and "Finningley Air Show".

There are lots of shots of long forgotten street scenes, demolished buildings etc. The film is silent and mostly in colour.

Highlights include Firth Park and other city parks, Longley Park Baths on a summers evening packed with people, Rivelin Valley paddling pool, Chapeltown Bonfire, Christmas lights, a journey from The Wicker to The Moor shot from a car travelling through the city centre, demolished pubs such as The Angel & Pump Tavern, Hippodrome, Paradise Square, Pheasant Inn at Sheffield Lane Top, wonderful film of Sheffield University Rag Week with the student procession and the "boat race" on The Don, Whit Walk gathering in Firth Park, Sports Gala at Shiregreen Sports Ground, St George's Day Parade in City Centre, brilliant footage of the Star Walk shot outside Pheasant Inn, lots of footage of Sheffield Trams "Last Tram Week" including trams running at Millhouses and in the city Centre, the horse drawn tram, illuminated tram. footage taken at the tram depot, and the sad sight of trams being broken up at Thos Wards scrapyard.

There is a very interesting section on Tinsley Park Works which shows the massive site being cleared and the new factory in various stages of construction with footage of the opening ceremony with the Duke of Edinburgh and the works in production and even footage taken in the offices - for anyone that worked there in the early 60s this would bring back vivid memories.

Sheffield at Leisure includes various footage taken around Derbyshire and also sporting events in the shape of Listerdale Scrambles and speedway filmed at Owlerton with bikes racing etc

The final chapter was shot entirely at Finningley Air Show at the 21st Anniversary of the Battle of Britain in 1961 and shows close ups of the various aircraft and the Red Arrows etc in flight.

If anyone is interested in a copy they can contact me via email at andyhorsfield@btinternet.com

Cheers

sounds good, perhaps you should say what the charge is for the dvd. I would imagine it would be quite popular at the right price.

The cost of the DVD is just £10 with free postage anywhere within the UK.

Sorry, I thought I had put this on the message - another senior moment !!

Please drop me an email if you are interested

Would they be interested at Sheffield Scene in this? Also the shop on the Hunter's Bar side of Barkly Precinct (whose name escapes me for the minute)

Would they be interested at Sheffield Scene in this? Also the shop on the Hunter's Bar side of Barkly Precinct (whose name escapes me for the minute)

Thanks Hopman - we will give them a try

Thanks to all who have been in touch to get a copy of the DVD - and the kind comments we have received back. For those who haven't contacted us yet, we hope you enjoyed the film and it brought back happy memories

Very well put together

Worth the money for the entertaining university boat race - so many ingenious designs, and poignant last tram footage (set to an excellent appropriate choice of music in Dvorak) alone.

Hi AndyH1963,

I am awaiting my dvd with eager anticipation. I posted my cheque off first class 2 weeks ago so I'm just hoping you got it. I know how slow first class post can be - sometimes slower than second. (sigh) If you could just confirm receipt I would be grateful. I'm watching for the postman daily but he's still only bringing bills. LOL.

Grannypat

Hi AndyH1963,

I am awaiting my dvd with eager anticipation. I posted my cheque off first class 2 weeks ago so I'm just hoping you got it. I know how slow first class post can be - sometimes slower than second. (sigh) If you could just confirm receipt I would be grateful. I'm watching for the postman daily but he's still only bringing bills. LOL.

Grannypat

Hi - DVD is definitely in the post. Hopefully it should arrive today

If anyone can name the music used for chapter 2 (view and events) of this DVD, please would you do so.

Thanks

Hi Andy,

You are quite right it arrived in the post this afternoon. I can't wait to get a bit of peace and quiet so that I can watch it. Thank you so much.

Pat