Gordon Brown - Bankers should've been jailed.

I was thinking more about bigger corporations but yes of course they do.

Having worked at many big companies I’ve yet to find one that didn’t have strong policies around ethical behaviour.

So no I haven’t bumped my head.

Supermarkets are ethical? Banks? Insurance companies? Wonga? Bright house? Companies like Nestle? G4? Oil companies? Tobacco companies? The tabloid press? Can you even have an ethical arms manufacturer?

Just because you didn't see unethical behaviour in your spell at the big corporates doesn't mean it doesn't exist when I could dredge up plenty of articles to the contrary.

Supermarkets are ethical? Banks? Insurance companies? Wonga? Bright house? Companies like Nestle? G4? Oil companies? Tobacco companies? The tabloid press? Can you even have an ethical arms manufacturer?

Just because you didn't see unethical behaviour in your spell at the big corporates doesn't mean it doesn't exist when I could dredge up plenty of articles to the contrary.

I’m not staying corporations don’t behave unethically. I’m saying they have a responsibility to do so. They know that, and that is why they all have policies about ethical behaviour. All of them.

People should read Chasing Alpha by Philip Augar. He describes how Brown and Blair devised the approach to regulation to be adopted by the Financial Services Authority, which was essentially "do what you like". Yes, the bankers should have gone to prison, and so should Gordon Brown.

Thanks for the tip Bob, i’ll check the book,out.

---------- Post added 25-11-2017 at 14:15 ----------

Problem is that in a Democracy we are supposed to have a say in who is in power and what they do. But let's face, it both the Conservatives and New Labour were in thrall to the bankers so neither was going to make them pay.

The electorate hasn't forgotten or forgiven. Politicians are seen as having self-interest rather than the best interests of the people they represent at heart, therefore Democracy isn't working properly. IMO this is why the world is in such turmoil and politics all over the place.

However Jeremy Corbyn seems to be more in tune with the current situation, and does have the interests of the 'many not the few' as the tenet of his policies. Maybe he can bring back true democracy.

Like him or not Corbyn is a sincere and honest man, the reason he’s so popular. His Westminster colleagues seem to have gone quiet. Stephen Kinnock, what a creature he is !

I’m not staying corporations don’t behave unethically. I’m saying they have a responsibility to do so. They know that, and that is why they all have policies about ethical behaviour. All of them.

Ethical means different things to different people though.

Thanks.

LLF means legally License Free. (TV License)

I do not own a TV, watch any TV content live or BBC iPlayer.

Just out of interest, how do you get your news and information?

Genuine question.

Just out of interest, how do you get your news and information?

Genuine question.

Radio and internet. Though unfortunately most radio is full of information about Celebrities and TV programmes these days, even the news. 15 + years ago I used to have radio 4 on all day long it was a wonderful education. Nowadays it is terrible and I rarely listen.

Radio and internet. Though unfortunately most radio is full of information about Celebrities and TV programmes these days, even the news. 15 + years ago I used to have radio 4 on all day long it was a wonderful education. Nowadays it is terrible and I rarely listen.

I like listening to radio 4. I find their news far superior to TV news even though both are basically BBC. I also use many internet sources - it's interesting how you can compare and contrast information, and track information back to its roots. We can now hear different points of view from all over the world. It's a real eye-opener.

One thing I've discovered is just how much we've been lied to over the years. Maybe I was just naive before, but I'm from a generation that trusted what I saw and read in the media. Did it change, or did I?