Boiler/Heating Megathread - Advice & Recommendations, No Jobs/Quotes/Advertising

I bet this has been posted before but this thread is huge so hope its ok to ask again.

My boiler has developed two strange symptoms whcih may be linked - can you help?

First - the pressure gauge reads zero when the heating's off but when heating comes on, it goes up to normal range.

Second after running a bath or shower, the boiler continues to make a noise (guessing its a fan??) long after the water has stopped running.

Do any plumbers on here know what might be wrong?

Thanks

Any recommendations on companies for boiler care and breakdown cover, I just got my Homecare renewal and BG have put it up 20.5%.

Don't touch the AA , customer service is dire, not servicing boilers till April May as too busy

I have an old Alpha 240 X boiler that has a few problems.

The burner repeatedly reignites every 20-25 secs.

If the thermostat control is set high then the burner keeps firing on and off every 20-25 secs

If the thermostat is turned down the burner stays alight longer and doesn't fire on and off as much but then doing this only allows warm radiators. The higher we turn the thermostat the hotter the radiators but the burner then repeatedly fires on and off every 20-25 secs non stop!!!

any gas engineers out there that would diagnose the fault and kindly comment?

Its already had a new thermocouple fitted !!!!!

SHOW MORE

I have an old Alpha 240 X boiler that has a few problems.

The burner repeatedly reignites every 20-25 secs.

If the thermostat control is set high then the burner keeps firing on and off every 20-25 secs

If the thermostat is turned down the burner stays alight longer and doesn't fire on and off as much but then doing this only allows warm radiators. The higher we turn the thermostat the hotter the radiators but the burner then repeatedly fires on and off every 20-25 secs non stop!!!

any gas engineers out there that would diagnose the fault and kindly comment?

Its already had a new thermocouple fitted !!!!!

SHOW MORE

It could be numerous things faulty thermostat, faulty high limit thermistor,blocked heat exchanger, pump not circulating correctly ( pump knackered). Only way to tell for certain would be a visit.

hi, im doing a conversion Monday from a heat only gravity fed to a combi,when removing the hot water cylinder, what pipe do i couple up in the airing cupboard? do i couple up the feed to the return and cap off the hot and cold? thank you i advance

i think if you have to ask on here about something like this then maybe you should consider getting a professional to do it

I've still got a reliable old fashioned hot water cylinder which is gravity fed. On mine the cold water enters at the bottom of the cylinder. In the middle part of the cylinder are the flow and return from the floor standing boiler. At the top of the cylinder is the hot water output, this splits into two with one pipe going to the hot water taps and the other is a vent expansion pipe which goes back to the cold water feed tank in the loft.

If you google it there are many pictures.

Hope this helps and you complete what you're trying to do without incident.

Get a professional. If you’re fitting a combi it means messing messing around with gas and electric. Both of which means work to be carried out by a certified professional.

hi, im doing a conversion Monday from a heat only gravity fed to a combi,when removing the hot water cylinder, what pipe do i couple up in the airing cupboard? do i couple up the feed to the return and cap off the hot and cold? thank you i advance

You fitting the combi as well crikey you are good / good luck :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Dont you know any one with one fitted so you can go and have a look

:help: If someone called Michael is fitting you a boiler Monday, cancel him.

Quick!!!:o

Michael, if your asking these kind of questions then your obviously not qualified or registered with any relevant body to carry out this work, which is illegal, but then again I suppose that as long as you get paid, and undermine all the guys who pay a lot of money to get and stay qualified and registered, alls good in Michaelland.

Hi,

What would be the approx figure for installing a Nest 3rd gen thermostat on a Y-Plan system? I'd also like a stat fitting to the h/w cylinder as well.

Cheers,

Rich

Hi

We have a Baxi combi. Just recently the hot water tap in the kitchen doesn't fire up the boiler (occasionally it does). The central heating works fine and upstairs tap still gets hot.

The water flow from the kitchen tap seems ok, not slow or anything.

Hopefully it's something simple?

Thanks Duckegg