Do the Police enforce highway laws?

We all know that the Police stop some drivers when they are using a ANPR camera, and if they see anyone using a mobile phone.

But what other rules should the police be enforcing?

We had the 2015 election, where there are now new rules for tailgating on the motorway?

If they see you crossing that double white line in the middle of the road, I assume they will gave you a fine.

There are various things in the Highway code, that say you 'must not', are those all fine-able offenses that the Police enforce?

I have live close to a bus route in which sometimes the buses cannot get passed parked cars, the Police are not interested.

We all know that the Police stop some drivers when they are using a ANPR camera, and if they see anyone using a mobile phone.

We had the 2015 election, where there are now new rules for tailgating on the motorway?

If they see you crossing that double white line in the middle of the road, I assume they will gave you a fine.

There are various things in the Highway code, that say you 'must not', are those all fine-able offenses that the Police enforce?

I have live close to a bus route in which sometimes the buses cannot get passed parked cars, the Police are not interested.

There are all kind of offences police enforce on the roads, but they have to see the infringement to do anything about it and they can't be on every street corner. Of course a citizen can report somebody, but the police still have to see the violation either in person or on camera to take action. The parked car problem should be an easy fix, ticket and tow away if they are causing an obstruction.However are there not traffic wardens to deal with that, or am I living in the past here?

The parked car problem should be an easy fix, ticket and tow away if they are causing an obstruction.However are there not traffic wardens to deal with that, or am I living in the past here?

Its a regular occurrence, so should be easy to tow away. Don't the car owners get charged for the towing and storage; maybe they get fined too, so it actually gets them revenue.

Surely all of these offenses should not cost anything to enforce?

Its a regular occurrence, so should be easy to tow away. Don't the car owners get charged for the towing and storage; maybe they get fined too, so it actually gets them revenue.

Well here in Toronto about 200 cars are towed daily in the down town core alone. Nip in for a coffee and come out your car has gone. Yes the owner has to pay the cost of towing, plus a charge for impoundment and also gets a ticket for about $50, So you leave your car for a few minutes in a no park zone and it will cost you at least $300 plus the inconvenience and cost of getting home and collecting the car the next day. Also if you are not on salary, you will probably lose income too. Of course rhere could be a different set of rules in suburban areas and from country to country. I am talking about a major City downtown in Ontario. Another thing is owners have often seen the tow truck driver hitching up mtheir car and got themselves into more trouble by being abrasive and insulting to the driver.

Towing away a car does not raise revenue for police. If a car is causing an obstruction they will attempt to contact the owner/driver in the local area. If not it is then removed and control informed so that when the owner/driver reports it stolen they are informed why it was removed and how/where they can collect it and at what cost.

The costs are paid to the vehicle removal company £115.00, and no money goes to the treasury.

Drivers keep blocking the steps between the pedestrian footpath and the vehicle highway. These are the only steps down to the highway on the top part of the road.

Both the police and the council say they cannot do anything because the by laws only cover blocking peoples drives and mounting/blocking the public footpath. There's nothing about blocking pedestrian access points.

Drivers keep blocking the steps between the pedestrian footpath and the vehicle highway. These are the only steps down to the highway on the top part of the road.

Both the police and the council say they cannot do anything because the by laws only cover blocking peoples drives and mounting/blocking the public footpath. There's nothing about blocking pedestrian access points.

Has the Council been asked to mark the roads with double yellow lines?

They were also rules against lane hogging, but they'd be dishing out hundreds of tickets a minute enforcing that one.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

If it was dangerous they would (which is usually is)

Isn't that something the council could enforce instead of the police??

Passing laws is the easy bit. But then they have to be interpreted and enforced.

Has the Council been asked to mark the roads with double yellow lines?

Been there, seen it, done it, worn t-shirt.

White and yellow lines that the council do for drives etc are advisory markings only. My request was classed as non urgent due to budget restraints. If I had a 4ft double yellow outside the house it would mess up any future permission request for a driveway, should they ever get shut of massive tree. Please, no hippy hoodies trying to protect the tree!