Smelly clothes from Charity shop

Personally I would"nt buy anything that smells, in fact you could"nt give me anything that smells.. it does appear that the purchase smelt very bad indeed.

No, it's mainly perfume in the garment.

Thanks for the tip, I may try that in addition to a very hot wash with the usual conditioner.

Someone mentioned carbonate soda crystals, has anyone ever used these, as they don't smell of anything, so I wondered how they could disguise or take away the smell.:confused::huh:

I sometimes use soda crystals to help remove stains and to eradicate smells in clothes. It doesn't matter that the crystals don't themselves have a strong smell as surely you want something that neutralises the bacteria that causes the odour in the clothes, not something that just swamps the odour with a stronger smell without getting rid of the underlying cause?

Try soaking the garments in white vinegar solution for several hours, then wash with bio washing powder but NO fabric conditioner.

It works with gym clothes.

How do I get the smell out?

I've washed them several times, but the smell is still there, it's perfume and that fusty smell mainly.

If the smell is fusty then it is probably due to damp - almost impossible to get rid of. If I smell damp in a charity shop I won't buy. One item can 'infect' all the stock.

Edited by AmberLeaf

By the time you've added up the cost of washing them to get rid of the smell, you might aw well have bought brand new, non branded clothes. At least nobody will have died in them!

By the time you've added up the cost of washing them to get rid of the smell, you might aw well have bought brand new, non branded clothes. At least nobody will have died in them!

LOL, can't stop laughing

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

do people die wearing all the clothes they own then :hihi:

do people die wearing all the clothes they own then :hihi:

How would you know who died in what?

How would you know who died in what?

I don't but they can't die wearing all their clothes surely:hihi:

I donate a lot of clothes to charity shops and Im not dead at all!

Ive always thought the slightly fusty smell was from the clothes being in storage for a while, not because of the people they came from.

Edited by nikki-red

One of the two in King Street stinks as soon as you walk in the door.