Are wage caps the answer?

I have just been reading an article in the trending section of The Star website. It relates to a young player at Sheffield Wednesday who has rejected multiple contract offers from the club and now looks destined to leave the club for free.

Why are younger players not subject to some sort of wage cap?

Surely if wage brackets were introduced then young players wouldn't be able to have their employers over a barrel? Also if they introduced such caps in salary then maybe this would make approaches from bigger clubs less attractive? Which in turn would surely only give football league clubs more power to hold on to their best young prospects?

In employment an apprentice receives a set salary until such a day that he is signed off competently as a professional, even then he probably enters his profession on an entry level salary until he is time served at what he does?

I know in football you used to get a scholar or youth contract, before being handed a professional contract.

Would there be any sense in restricting and capping salaries until a certain age? Would this prevent players from getting above themselves? Would this help clubs to hold on to young players?

I have just been reading an article in the trending section of The Star website. It relates to a young player at Sheffield Wednesday who has rejected multiple contract offers from the club and now looks destined to leave the club for free.

Why are younger players not subject to some sort of wage cap?

Surely if wage brackets were introduced then young players wouldn't be able to have their employers over a barrel? Also if they introduced such caps in salary then maybe this would make approaches from bigger clubs less attractive? Which in turn would surely only give football league clubs more power to hold on to their best young prospects?

In employment an apprentice receives a set salary until such a day that he is signed off competently as a professional, even then he probably enters his profession on an entry level salary until he is time served at what he does?

I know in football you used to get a scholar or youth contract, before being handed a professional contract.

Would there be any sense in restricting and capping salaries until a certain age? Would this prevent players from getting above themselves? Would this help clubs to hold on to young players?

A good idea but it would have to be nationwide and can you see the big boys allowing there tap of young players being removed. I agree with it but it won't happen.

I'm not sure anything is the answer now, it's gone too far.

I think it's in supporters hands, but numbers still seem to be going to watch the 'big boys'.

-

I did think the other day that if we went back to the old rule of x number of foreign players allowed, the top 2 divisions would be completely altered in a few seasons.