Disabled benefits cut have caused a 'human catastrophe'

It's what a lot of disabled people have been trying to get across for a long time.

Now, the findings of an inquiry published today by the United Nations agrees, and says 'the British Government is systematically violating the rights of disabled people.' And Government's cuts to disabled benefits and services has caused a 'human catastrophe.'

Even if you don't need it now, there will hardly be a person reading this who won't need help at some stage in their lives, and I have to tell them that it's simply no longer there.

In a civilised and relatively wealthy country like ours surely this is an ongoing disgrace? You might like to bear the disastrous Tory policies in mind at the next election.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/un-report-disability-disabled-rights-violating-austerity-welfare-reform-esa-pip-a7404956.html

I posted the finding of this enquiry in the Disabled section on here in May

The UN Inquiry into the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the UK

Published Monday, March 6, 2017

This Commons Library briefing paper provides information on the inquiry by the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities into the impact of Government policies on the rights of disabled people since 2010.

The UN Committee inquiry

At the end of August 2015, it was revealed in the national press that the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) was to conduct an inquiry into the impact of the UK Government’s policies on the rights of disabled people.

The inquiry was conducted under the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, to which the UK has been a signatory since 2007. The Optional Protocol allows the UN Committee to investigate a State Party if they have received reliable evidence of ‘grave and systematic violations of the Convention’. The UK is the first country to be investigated by the UN in relation to this Convention.

The Committee's findings

The Committee's report, published on 6 October 2016, found that Government reforms*had led to ‘grave and systematic’ violations of the rights of disabled people. The report emphasises*the impact of changes to Housing Benefit entitlement, eligibility criteria for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and social care, and the closure*of the Independent Living Fund.

The Government's response

The Government published a robust response alongside the publication of the Committee’s report, stating that it “strongly disagrees” with the findings.

What next?

Like other UN human rights conventions, the CRPD does not contain any mechanism that allows the Committee to enforce its recommendations. As the Government’s response to the report rejected all the recommendations made, there are no more official steps in the process.

This report was Just ignored.

http://researchbriefings.parliament....mmary/CBP-7367

_______

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

Dalai Lama

Edited by Itrytoplease

I posted the finding of this enquiry in the Disabled section on here in May

The UN Inquiry into the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in the UK

Published Monday, March 6, 2017

This Commons Library briefing paper provides information on the inquiry by the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities into the impact of Government policies on the rights of disabled people since 2010.

The UN Committee inquiry

At the end of August 2015, it was revealed in the national press that the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) was to conduct an inquiry into the impact of the UK Government’s policies on the rights of disabled people.

The inquiry was conducted under the Optional Protocol to the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, to which the UK has been a signatory since 2007. The Optional Protocol allows the UN Committee to investigate a State Party if they have received reliable evidence of ‘grave and systematic violations of the Convention’. The UK is the first country to be investigated by the UN in relation to this Convention.

The Committee's findings

The Committee's report, published on 6 October 2016, found that Government reforms*had led to ‘grave and systematic’ violations of the rights of disabled people. The report emphasises*the impact of changes to Housing Benefit entitlement, eligibility criteria for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and social care, and the closure*of the Independent Living Fund.

The Government's response

The Government published a robust response alongside the publication of the Committee’s report, stating that it “strongly disagrees” with the findings.

What next?

Like other UN human rights conventions, the CRPD does not contain any mechanism that allows the Committee to enforce its recommendations. As the Government’s response to the report rejected all the recommendations made, there are no more official steps in the process.

This report was Just ignored.

http://researchbriefings.parliament....mmary/CBP-7367

_______

Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.

Dalai Lama

Indeed.

As for it being ignored, the appropriate response lies at the ballot box.

Indeed.

As for it being ignored, the appropriate response lies at the ballot box.

That really is a tiresome answer.

OK I agree to a certain extent.

I think we need to try and build public awareness of what's happening, and its effects, because unless it affects people personally they have no idea it's going on. Hence threads like this and public protest. It's noticeable that this has been all but ignored by mainstream media, (again) the emphasis deliberately being shifted to highlight the aftereffects of the ParaOlympic Games, which misses the point entirely.

But ultimately, in our 'democracy' what else can we do except vote the Conservatives out of office, and hope Labour does better? If you have any better ideas I'd be interested to hear them.

You'd think that the United Nations would have a million other things to sort out before they start worrying about the UK.

Because they can only possibly think about one thing at once.

---------- Post added 26-08-2017 at 01:20 ----------

It's the only power we actually have...

OK I agree to a certain extent.

I think we need to try and build public awareness of what's happening, and its effects, because unless it affects people personally they have no idea it's going on. Hence threads like this and public protest. It's noticeable that this has been all but ignored by mainstream media, (again) the emphasis deliberately being shifted to highlight the aftereffects of the ParaOlympic Games, which misses the point entirely.

But ultimately, in our 'democracy' what else can we do except vote the Conservatives out of office, and hope Labour does better? If you have any better ideas I'd be interested to hear them.

I think that's what has been particularly odd about the 'human catastrophe' as you rightly describe it.

I think that the media, particularly the broadcast media are extremely important in the process; in that it is the publicising of scandals such as these, ministers are often forced into action. Sometimes reforms are inadequate, but at least there is official recognition that things need to change.

Here, there doesn't seem to be that recognition; from either the mainstream media (apart perhaps from the Guardian & Mirror newspapers), or from the Government.

2,380 official deaths in three short years as a consequence of Government policies. You would've thought that was newsworthy? Personally I think it is scandalous. Less newsworthy stories have been given more prominence (though that is subjective view)

Maybe the disabled and the unemployed are seen as separate from the rest of the population in terms of their significance, or by virtue of their 'otherness'. I don't know - but the relative silence around this issue is strange. Maybe it's too much of a thorny issue?

Edited by Mister M

But ultimately, in our 'democracy' what else can we do except vote the Conservatives out of office, and hope Labour does better?

Yeah... that's a bit like jumping off a cliff in the hope that you'll land on a unicorn.

If you have any better ideas I'd be interested to hear them.

In the pipeline... I'll be in touch.

I have lived in countries where disabled were assisted and had access to benefits.

And live in a country where disabled are told they are not considered disabled and get no benefits.

The new conservative disability rules are based on their main qualities, ignorance and stupidity.

It's the only power we actually have...

No it is not.We could, for example rally together and help the victims to challenge their abusers in the courts.

There is, I think, plenty of scope for it, but I've not heard tale of any attempts.

Tories attitude is if someone is mentally disabled they can always be taught to mop the floor and clean the toilet.

Tories attitude is if someone is mentally disabled they can always be taught to mop the floor and clean the toilet.

We should count ourselves lucky that they've not met Professor Hawking...

The 2,380 people who died were figures from the DWP, which they fought tooth & nail to keep confidential, but IIRC were forced by the courts & the Information Commissioner to publish.

I'm sure I read somewhere that the DWP have now stopped collecting such data.

Did they die from hunger or neglect, did they top themselves? What's happened in the previous years or the years that followed?

As I said it's a shocking figure but one with little context.