South Yorkshire Police faces 1,500 staff cuts

I've always put this down to one simple thing in the governments favour:

Less police = less arrests = better crime statistics

Its the unfortunate victims of the crimes who are left to pick up the pieces.

I've always put this down to one simple thing in the governments favour:

Its the unfortunate victims of the crimes who are left to pick up the pieces.

Don't they also use statistics which are independent of police recorded statistics?http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/crime-stats/crime-statistics/year-ending-march-2015/stb-crime-march-2015.html

This says a 7% drop was recorded for the crime survey last year, despite an increase in police recorded crime.

Some people, i'm defo not one of them.

Well that's the result of the general election invalidated then. :rolleyes:

Me neither. Nor lots of people in Sheffield.

I know Sheffielders can be a bit insular but there is a whole country out there y'know.

Crime statistics aren't based on arrests or even convictions.

Crime in England and Wales is presented using two different sources: the Crime Survey for England and Wales and police recorded crime.

The Crime Survey for England and Wales is a face-to-face victimisation survey in which people resident in households in England and Wales are asked about their experiences of crimes in the 12 months prior to the interview. The CSEW therefore includes crimes that are not reported to or recorded by the police, but is limited to crimes against people resident in households.

Police recorded crime statistics are affected by changes in reporting and recording practices.

LINK

So the first measuring system doesn't even rely on the police. Given that the police recording of crimes has been officially downgraded (Watchdog strips official status from police crime figures) due to the police fiddling the figures, we can prertty much discount anything those liars claim about crime statistics.

Pc James Patrick, a serving Metropolitan Police officer, told MPs that massaging crime figures to hit performance targets had become “an engrained part of policing culture”.

Since they've now been caught out it seems our hapless plods can't even fake the figures with any degree of skill or competence.

Stop welcoming every Tomas, Dik and Abdul into the country and we might be able to fund a proper police force.

Nor me.

Vote Tory and weep - as they used to say.

Do you think labour wouldn't have cut things like the police?

Do you think labour wouldn't have cut things like the police?

Yes I do actually.

I'm not saying Labour are faultless, they have as cons just like the rest of them however I did believe the last manifesto regarding the NHS, policing and the fire service.

In regards to the NHS which I have strong opinions about being an NHS worker myself. Labour promised us 8000 more GP's and 20,000 additional nurses. Had they been elected and delivered this then the crippled health service would be heading in a much better direction. The main positive in Labours plans was that the costs associated with recruiting this many new professionals would have been funded via mansion taxes on those with property exceeding £2m. A win / win.

In regards to Policing Labour promised to inject £800m in order to safeguard 10,000 jobs which pretty much answers your question. We might still have some minor cuts however I honestly don't think the figured would be anywhere near 1500 if Labour had been elected.

I'm not usually one for politics but I do honestly believe that the Tories are slowly but surely going to devastate our frontline services. I fear for our beloved NHS because I can see the current strains and know that the prognosis for the immediate future with all of the scheduled cuts will only make things worse. I fear for our police forces as they too are under significant strain, I spoke to an officer not so long ago who told me first hand that policing Sheffield is becoming more and more difficult by the day. It simply isn't possible any more to pro-actively police our neighbourhoods. Resources simply don't allow them to police things in the way that they formerly would have which is the way they would like to do so!

So again in answer yes I do think Labour would have done things differently. I believe strongly that they would have at the very least kept their word regarding the safeguarding and improvement of frontline services.

bit off course but in reply to last post labour got their chance when in power and did nothing at all, when labour was in power i was still waiting the same amount of time for a doctors appointment as i am under the tories, thats a week wait for an appointment and i only go to docs about once every 5 yrs if that

Labour created this free for everyone, if more money is going out than coming in you have to get your house in order, like private sector have to.

with regard to nhs, it gets money thrown at it left,right and centre, but this isnt the problem, its where the money is spent and how, instead on nurses on frontline its pen pushers in offices.

but gp's get my gripe when they refuse to work weekends, hospitals open weekends, i bet these gp's go into shops.cinemas,pubs at weekends, not interested in those peoples work/life balance so why are they different, mon -fri 9-5 is a thing of the past, we are now a 24-7 world

That IS what people voted for.

Only 35% of those who actually voted, nowhere near a majority

---------- Post added 14-08-2015 at 08:25 ----------

Well that's the result of the general election invalidated then. :rolleyes:

The result of the general election was never valid but does stand

Edited by alchemist