Stannington in the snow-does it get closed off.

The snow line starts and ends at the now defunct Sportsman Inn the old village boundary.Any thing above the Sportsman in the village expect worse conditions than the area below the Sportsman now known as the district of Stannington,down to Malin Bridge!

Oh here we go. :roll:

Stannington is Stannington. There is no distinction between a Stannington "village" and a "district of Stannington", except in the minds of the deluded snobs who live up beyond the sportsman.

Stannington is Stannington. There is no distinction between a Stannington "village" and a "district of Stannington", except in the minds of the deluded snobs who live up beyond the sportsman.

Bites every time :hihi:

i lived at the top of stannington for the past couple of years -(heading towards dungworth) . Last winter when it snowed (not on boxing day - think it was mid jan time). We had approx 10 inches of snow which eventually turned in 3 inch thick ice ( i lived up a small lane off road) . It took nearly 3 weeks ( i kept count) before i (and the neighbours) could get any cars back up the lane - You need a proper 4 x4 , and even that got hairy at times due to the thick ice.

It was very pretty for a few days - after that it got annoying having to call the my LL to come and collect me from the end of the lane (struggled to walk because of the ice /slight incline and lack of anything to hang on to) . If you fell - you either fell on your bum or your face. It was pretty dangerous actually. Lord knows how many phone calls we made to the council asking them to fill the grit bin to give people half a chance of getting home.

Doesn't matter if it does snow because anyone with any sense who lives in "The village" has, like me, bought a Land Rover. :)

Doesn't matter if it does snow because anyone with any sense who lives in "The village" has, like me, bought a Land Rover. :)

Or maybe you just like bragging about your car...

Been there, done that. The worst car I ever owned. Any 4x4 is better than two wheel drive, but in icy conditions will be no better than two wheel drive.

The same four wheels will slide uncontrollably.

Stannington by the way is 767 feet above sea level.

My village is 1,000 feet.

I just make sure the freezer is full for the months from November to April.

If it snows it snows. I have food. I'll survive.

Been there, done that. The worst car I ever owned. Any 4x4 is better than two wheel drive, but in icy conditions will be no better than two wheel drive.

I take it you don't have to go out to work so can afford to be smug ?

I take it you don't have to go out to work so can afford to be smug ?

Been there, done that too.

Well I was being a bit cheeky, my LR is an old relic but is far better in snow than my much newer Vauxhall in which I skidded and crashed on Stannington Road in that unbelievably cold Winter of 2010/11, agree you still have to be careful, if you've no grip it doesn't matter whether you have 2WD or 4 WD.

Just get winter tyres (or all season tyres if you don't want the hassle of swapping twice a year), better than having a 4wd on summer tyres.