Your windows license will expire soon..

What do i need to do. I have gone into settings and it is asking for a key number. I bought the computer 1 year ago second hand from an IT guy i knew but have lost contact with him. Anyone know how to fix this please.

go on ebay and buy another number about 6 quid
Is that all? I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Is that all? I'll give it a go. Thanks.

i have at least two running on win 10 with no problems from there

derfblade - before you go spending any money on a (possibly) dodgy license, who or what told you to go into settings?

A Windows license does not 'expire' and the code you need is usually on a sticker on the bottom of a laptop/back of the base unit of a PC.

The only problem you might have is if you bought a dodgy machine, but I assume you knew the seller well enough?

derfblade - before you go spending any money on a (possibly) dodgy license, who or what told you to go into settings?

A Windows license does not 'expire' and the code you need is usually on a sticker on the bottom of a laptop/back of the base unit of a PC.

The only problem you might have is if you bought a dodgy machine, but I assume you knew the seller well enough?

when installing win 10 you do not have to enter a number to install the software and it will run ,if you ignore the warning boxes, for a while.

I am well aware of that, choogling, but derfblade bought his machine, second-hand, I assume, 12 months ago and has only now, by some means, been told his licence 'is expiring' - Windows just doesn't work that way - IF the installation is genuine, and if it wasn't he'd have been nagged long before now.

I am well aware of that, choogling, but derfblade bought his machine, second-hand, I assume, 12 months ago and has only now, by some means, been told his licence 'is expiring' - Windows just doesn't work that way - IF the installation is genuine, and if it wasn't he'd have been nagged long before now.

He may have bought the computer with some sort of student licence ,he got it from an I.T guy after all.

Maybe, but unless he comes back with more detail, speculation is going to get us nowhere.:)

@derfblade - you can find your license key by the following method:

1) Open the advanced cmd prompt

2) copy and paste the following command: powershell "(Get-WmiObject -query ‘select * from SoftwareLicensingService’).OA3xOriginalProductKey"

3) then hit enter.

I don't know if this will help you though.

Maybe, but unless he comes back with more detail, speculation is going to get us nowhere.:)

I checked on the Microsoft software site and found no windows 10 installs that expire after twelve months.to find your win 10 number go to system then click about its there.

Edited by choogling

Thought you wouldn't, choogling.:)

derfblade has been the victim of a scam.