IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Royal Hospital West Street

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

28-01-2018, 18:56   #1
pbower

Total Posts: 6
Hi everyone,
I retire from nursing next month after 45 years working in the NHS. Got me thinking about the good old days. I trained mainly at the Royal Hospital in 1973 and then worked on Norfolk ward on nights when qualified. Anyone around who might have worked then. I moved up to the Hallamshire when RH closed in 1978 and worked there since in different areas

Pam Bower (nee Carnall)
29-01-2018, 17:53   #2
Daven

Total Posts: 10,960
I worked at the Royal Hospital as a pre nursing student at the beginning of 1978 on the notes despatch desk within the outpatients department. God it was cold - being based by the main doors.
I remember working with 2 lovely ladies called Audrey and Rose.
_______
My lovely Mum who lived with Alzheimers Disease for 9 years
RIP 15/3/18
A true lady passed this way.
29-01-2018, 18:17   #3
pbower

Great to hear from you I worked in medical records at the Royal when I did pre nursing but that was back in1972. Cant remember who the staff were though. Long time ago lol.
29-01-2018, 18:22   #4
Daven

Total Posts: 10,960
I know but it's stuck in my mind because I enjoyed the course so much.
Wasn't medical records up an extremely steep flight of stairs into the roof of outpatients ?
_______
My lovely Mum who lived with Alzheimers Disease for 9 years
RIP 15/3/18
A true lady passed this way.
29-01-2018, 18:29   #5
pbower

Don't know I had got into my head that it was on the main corridor. I worked on Norfolk ward when I qualified and moved up to the Hallamshire when it closed. They were such good times then everyone knew each other and it was just like a little family
31-01-2018, 14:03   #6
martin441

Total Posts: 70
I had my appendix out there in 1963. !!
01-02-2018, 13:08   #7
Chap BLADE

Total Posts: 424
My auntie Florence ran the laundry there and at the Infirmary
01-02-2018, 21:26   #8
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 3,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap BLADE View Post
My auntie Florence ran the laundry there and at the Infirmary
Nightingale?
03-02-2018, 12:18   #9
hobinfoot

Total Posts: 542
I bumped my head at the lido in Millhouses park. I had to visit the Royal and got diagnosed with concussion they kept me in for a couple of days can't remember what Ward tho.
03-02-2018, 23:09   #10
nice-nurse

Total Posts: 60
I was at the Royal in 1973. I started there as a Pupil Nurse on Littlewood ward - women’s orthopaedics. It was hard work - very heavy & long unsocial hours. Then I moved to Bingham ward - Opthalmics. Training was extremely strict but it led me on to a wonderful & varied career.
05-02-2018, 17:15   #11
soft ayperth

Total Posts: 1,689
As a young feller I spent best part of a week at the Royal as Children's hospital was full. I had a septic sore on my knee and antibiotics were only just being used in the early 50s so they wanted to keep an eye on things while I had the penicillin or whatever. I remember a cavernous ward with long lines of beds. After the lights went out at night, everyone started to fart. Remember telling mum and dad about it when they came to visit me and they thought it was hilarious.
_______
Sheffield in the late 40s to 60s: www.startingtoframe.com
05-02-2018, 17:59   #12
Jomie

Total Posts: 1,060
I have very fond memories of the Royal Hospital and was heartbroken when they demolished it. A dear friend gave me a gift of a framed photograph of the hospital taken from West Street. I have it on my wall and I cherish it. It is good to hear that other people have appreciated the old place and yes, it did have a family atmosphere.
08-02-2018, 17:13   #13
ldm30

Total Posts: 16
My wife Julia Bennett(nee-spooner ) worked in medical records .The manager was a Mr Scott .She remembers the names of many people who worked there .later she moved to the new hospital building.I used to walk up from my work at Viners to meet her then walk all the way together up to Crooks where we lived
09-03-2018, 10:12   #14
bothamlad

Total Posts: 127
In january 1973,i had my first experience of hospital life !! i suffered a broken fema playing football.I spent just over 3 months in the royal,stuck in the same bed surrounded by traction ,leg raised in a metal caliper with weights on the end.I had just turned 17 at the time so i struggled at first with being confined to that bed.All the staff were amazing,so friendly and caring.I remember a young trainee nurse,she had ginger hair and used to massage my foot with cream because the skin was cracking and became sore,she also washed my hair as well.It was sad a couple of years later to see the royal hospital being demolished.
12-03-2018, 08:48   #15
Ken gray

Total Posts: 51
my wife Marie,was one of the first people to have a kidney transplant there from a live donor,her sister Margaret,Mr Fox was the surgeon,it turned out to be one of the longest lasting transplant.she had it in 1974 and it lasted until 2014.at the time it made the front pages of several newspapers.
15-03-2018, 01:08   #16
chocki

Total Posts: 3,061
I remember when it closed down and I had visions of buying the land, pulling it down and making it into a pub (ranch type thing) where I would have horses tied up outside for people to have a ride. It would have swing doors like a saloon.

I was 20 years old!!! I've never understood it either ������������
_______
The most precious thing you can give someone is your time
14-10-2018, 15:03   #17
Wensley1

Total Posts: 20
Hello pbower. I do remember the royal hospital. I visited nearly every day until january 1974. In september 1973 they saved my husbands life, along with mine and my unborn baby. I cannot thank you enough for everything that was done for us beyond that as well. Do you remember the 2 x domestics? I think one may have been called susan. They both used to walk round the hospital with the pram so that i could sit with my husband. I also have a claim to fame which im sure you will know about. Please get in touch. I have so much to share with you.
14-10-2018, 17:53   #18
pbower

Hi Wensley1,
I'm afraid I don't remember your domestics. I didnt work permanently at the Royal until 1975 when I qualified and worked there until it closed in 1978. I worked nights for that length of time too. They were good times though but dam hard work
18-10-2018, 18:10   #19
Shefflich

Total Posts: 54
Gosh, happy days! I started at the Royal in April of 1968 in what in those days was just plain old ECG. Finally retired from the RHH Cardiology in 2006 after 38 years. Very happy memories of the 10 years at the Royal (think it was 78 the RHH opened the wards and the Royal closed). Was it Bert who manned the little office at the main West Street entrance? Remember Frank and Percy who used to trundle their trolley around with the post? Some of the girls from the department used to hide their trolley when they weren't around. They always took it in good part. They made the move to the RHH.

We worked for Dr.Gumpert (senior) not his son who became a Neuro Consultant. Prof Sir Charles Stuart-Harris. Dr. Jerry Daly, Dr Derek Cullen, Mr Williams, Mr Fox, Maggie Platts, Dr Charles Davies. Gosh there were others but the names escape me. No doubt someone can fill in some more names.

As has been said there was a lovely family atmosphere which largely disappeared when we moved 'up the road'. There was great excitement making the move and strange walking around the finally empty Royal. I recall that on 'moving day' there was one very poorly patient in the Renal Unit (used to block the end of the first floor corridor near Keeling Ward). They put off moving them until they had no option but I believe very sadly that they didn't survive. Everyone was firmly of the opinion that they wouldn't have survived anyway but it was ,to say the least, very unfortunate timing for all concerned.

I digress slightly from the main topic, but the RHH was the only hospital I ever worked in where if you asked a patient where they lived, often they could point out of the window and show you whereabouts they were from. Certainly had better views than the old Royal assuming you forget about Fulwood Annex!
18-10-2018, 18:22   #20
Wensley1

Total Posts: 20
Hi shefflich. My late husband and i were both admitted to the old royal on 6 sept 1973 following a road accident. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and had a fractured skull! I woke up on a men's ward surrounded by about 6 male patients who were all hoping to see the baby born. I was only there for a few days but my husband was in over christmas and met santa. Everyone was so kind to us. I can never thank them enough. Incidentally fhe baby is 45 now and has 2 x little girls of her own. I could go on forever but I won't.
Reply To Topic