IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Corker Bottom, where is it?

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

21-03-2017, 15:45   #1
Billy Sugger

Total Posts: 27
When I was a nipper (many years ago), my dad took me to Ripon Street,
Attercliffe, to show me where he was born. We then walked towards what is now the parkway to a spot where there were a few isolated terraces of houses. My dad called it the indian village, he also showed me a tip that was steaming and smoking, he said it was burning underground and had been there for years. He referred to the whole area as Corker Bottom.Does anyone remember this place and can tell me it's approximate location in relation to somewhere identifiable?
21-03-2017, 15:51   #2
DIDO

Total Posts: 274
Its just of Manor lane. My father always told us he went to the Duck Egg school just off Corker Bottom.
21-03-2017, 16:39   #3
stpetre
Account Closed

Total Posts: 2,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIDO View Post
Its just of Manor lane. My father always told us he went to the Duck Egg school just off Corker Bottom.
Yes, Corker Bottom Lane is/was where Harborough Avenue meets Manor Lane and where the old Nunnery Colliery tip was.

---------- Post added 21-03-2017 at 15:44 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Sugger View Post
When I was a nipper (many years ago), my dad took me to Ripon Street,
Attercliffe, to show me where he was born. We then walked towards what is now the parkway to a spot where there were a few isolated terraces of houses. My dad called it the indian village, he also showed me a tip that was steaming and smoking, he said it was burning underground and had been there for years. He referred to the whole area as Corker Bottom.Does anyone remember this place and can tell me it's approximate location in relation to somewhere identifiable?
The only place nicknamed Indian village that I recall, (reason being the gable ends resembled wigwams from afar), with isolated houses sounds like Ranskill Road, that was off Shepcote Lane, demolished to make way for ESC Tinsley Park works.

Last edited by stpetre; 21-03-2017 at 20:34. Reason: Add
22-10-2018, 20:26   #4
Clowes361

Total Posts: 6
Corker Bottoms Lane starts where Manor Lane and Harborough Avenue begins. It runs parallel with Harborough Avenue. I used to live opposite. The burning tip was about half way down the lane. There used to be a railway line running from the steel works that dropped of the hot slag from steel making. This is what caused the steam and smoke. In the 1950's before the Parkway was built there were farmers fields and a fishing pond belonging to the Cowlishaws and allotments near a stone quarry. Also along the lane was a large stone built house where 3 different families lived, I can't recall there names.
In the 60's the burning tip was landscaped and levelled off to create football pitches.
Reply To Topic