Your message here

Tunnels under Sheffield

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

05-05-2003, 20:33   #1
Jon
Individual

Total Posts: 3,172
Has anyone ever been in the tunnels under the city centre? And does anyone have access into the tunnels making it possible for myself and others to walk around them sometime ?

Jon
06-05-2003, 09:40   #2
mikey
Tottyrator

Total Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to mikey Send a message via Yahoo to mikey
They are part of the manor castle, I think. They link the castle to the Queens Head Pub. (Mary Queen of Scots and all that, she was imprisoned there for a few years)

There is a society for the castle maybe they can help you. Let me know as I may be interested in taking a look
06-05-2003, 10:57   #3
senseofplace

Total Posts: 70
According to some books on Sheffield there is/are loads more than one tunnel system. For work I'm particularly interested in the one that ran from the castle to Manor Lodge, and am looking for any info - and definitely any chance to have an explore
Friends who have worked at Fargate and the Moor have reported tunnels linking shops together - known but not widely known. Some of the churches are supposed to have them too.
There are also all the old graves.
I love the thought of all that history lurking under my feet when I'm in town.
I'd love the thought of having an explore even more. But I bet 'they' would say it was too much of a safety hazard to let people have a wander. Or maybe there are those who still use the tunnels for purposes nefarious and otherwise?
Laura
_______
Chaos reigns within. Reflect, repent and reboot. Order will return.
06-05-2003, 12:03   #4
max
Leftie epeeist

Total Posts: 11,699
I've heard rumours of tunnels leading from the Ponderosa under Crookes Valley Road to the park. Reputedly, they were used to store barrage balloons in WW1.

Anybody have any further knowledge of these?
06-05-2003, 15:24   #5
halevan

Total Posts: 1,398
I do beleive there are still tunnels that run from the old sheffield castle up to the manor castle and tudor lodge, in the old days one could gain access to them on the fields where the manor park estate now stands.
06-05-2003, 15:27   #6
Tony Ruscoe
Bolton Boy

Total Posts: 582
I heard there was a tunnel linking The University of Sheffield's St. Georges lecture theatre/flats and Mappin Buildings...
06-05-2003, 17:06   #7
Sidla

Total Posts: 2,765
I'm fascinated by tunnels. I'm from in a small town in Leicestershire which apparently has a network of tunnels below it. Not sure how true it is.
_______
Even the nicest of guys have some nasty within 'em, you don't have to be backlit to be the villain. - Scroobius Pip
07-05-2003, 00:05   #8
jimbol

Total Posts: 34
I've heard various rumours of tunnels, but never seen any actual proof that they exist. From Manor Lodge to Sheffield castle would be quite a feat of engineering if you think about the relative locations and distance. The Lodge quite high up and the castle on the banks of the Don about a mile or so away.

There are certainly plenty of mine tunnels under lots of Sheffield, it's a wonder most of the hills haven't collapsed!

The local studies library might have some info and most likely the Hunter Archaeological Society - but I'm not a member and don't know anyone to ask.

Jim
_______
So long and thanks for all the fish!
07-05-2003, 10:04   #9
senseofplace

Quote:
Originally posted by "jimbol"

There are certainly plenty of mine tunnels under lots of Sheffield, it's a wonder most of the hills haven't collapsed!

Jim
When they knocked down the flats on Guildford Avenue and started to build the new school they found massive great holes that had to be filled in before they could start work on site. The mind boggles. How is it the flats never fell into them? Or did they just think that that wouldn't be too much of a loss
I found the irony of great holes that no-one had ever noticed before having to be filled before anything could go ahead just too much. Where did all the money for the school grounds and classroom equipment go? Into the bottomless pit of course. So many possible analogies and jokes, so little time...

Laura
_______
07-05-2003, 10:12   #10
Cycleracer

Total Posts: 4,452
I believe there is a tunnel from The Sheffield castle and goes under the Pitsmoor estate linking the old castle that used to stand in the area were Pye Bank School and the Pitsmoor estate is now.
07-05-2003, 23:46   #11
Jon
Individual

Quote:
Originally posted by "mikey"

They are part of the manor castle, I think. They link the castle to the Queens Head Pub. (Mary Queen of Scots and all that, she was imprisoned there for a few years)

There is a society for the castle maybe they can help you. Let me know as I may be interested in taking a look
Mikey The Yorkshire UFO Society hold meetings at the Queens Head Pub and yes a tunnel doe run from there up to the castle (btw i have written to the council about a visit down the tunnels so if they say yes you going with us?)
08-05-2003, 09:41   #12
mikey
Tottyrator

Total Posts: 1,879
Send a message via AIM to mikey Send a message via Yahoo to mikey
Definately, but we may need the Maiden to scare out any gools first.
08-05-2003, 10:18   #13
senseofplace

Take me, take me
I may be short and I may not be a witch but i can scare ghouls away no probs. I just chat them into the next life

Smiles
Laura
_______
09-05-2003, 01:11   #14
jimbol

If there's room for one more, let me know - please!

Jim
_______
09-05-2003, 09:18   #15
Clik32
Account Closed

Total Posts: 677
Apparently there are loads of tunnels leading from Manor Castle to the Castle markets in town too. I don't know how true they are, but my friend works for the Manor and Castle Development Trust thingy so I'll ask her if I see her today.
Chloé
13-05-2003, 12:26   #16
Classic Rock

Forum Helper
Total Posts: 6,907
I heard that there's a tunnel entrance in the cellar at the Cossack pub, but it's boarded up - not safe to enter.
13-05-2003, 12:47   #17
senseofplace

Further investigation inot the possibility of tunnels from Manor lodge to anywhere near the Castle have hit brick walls (pun apology )
The friends of Manor lodge/castle and others working around and about there told me it was an engineering impossibility due to the distance/rivers in the way. They say people have mistaken old drift mines and victorian sewers for tunnels.
Some arguments were more plausible than others. For instance certain of these people refuted the existence of tunnels anywhere under Sheffield, and I truly believe they are wrong.
If anyone can prove this one way or another (particularly the Manor/ Sheff Castle one), please please please show me the proof.

Laura
_______
13-05-2003, 12:53   #18
Mike

Total Posts: 520
There's no information online about tunnels under Sheffield, although for other cities (eg Manchester which has lots) this is well documented.

Has anyone actually got any evidence to support this? It's a nice idea I know, but it seems really unlikely that there are tunnels from Ponds Forge to the Manor.

I do a lot of potholing and exploration of old mines and I'd just like to advise anyone who does find anything to get hold of proper lights, helmets and let someone know exactly where you're going and the time at which you'd like them to call 999 if you don't return.
16-05-2003, 01:01   #19
jimbol

If you find any tunnel, hole or whatever in your searches, please do not enter without doing a thorough risk assessment first. This may sound technical, but it's basically application of common sense to ensure that the environment you are about to enter is safe.

I am all too aware from my job, that people can and do die from entering confined/restricted spaces. Old mine workings, especially, are prone to build up of dangerous gasses which you cannot see or smell/taste and these will kill you in a very short time. I'm sorry to sound morbid or bang on about it, but I do not want to hear of anyone putting themselves or others at risk. You need to ensure that there is sufficient oxygen to breath and that there are no other nasties in the air. Please don't take the risk, if you're not sure, then don't!

Probably one of the best sources of information (as I mentioned in an earlier post) is the Hunter Archaeological Society. If they don't know about any tunnels, then I would venture to suggest that they don't exist. I will try and find out some way of contacting them and post any info that comes to light.

Keep safe - you know it makes sense!
_______
17-05-2003, 00:53   #20
Jon
Individual

I got a letter from the council today (friday 16th may) about the tunnels they have passed my information on to someone else and will be getting back intouch with me soon fingers crossed
Reply To Topic