Trees being cut down, Cathedral

Why is it that the trees are all up rooted and destroyed when surely its possible to work around them?.

or is that too much trouble for the contractors?, would anyone protest at the planning meeting about them?.

or is it about the money (again). the rev of Sheffield cathedral seems very interested in the worldly goods.

I don't know anything about this specific situation, but in general I don't see anything wrong with removing a particular tree provided it is replaced. Also, some particular trees might not be appropriate to the site, and a better choice can be made, either in type of tree or position.

Our environment, particularly in cities, is rarely natural. We have a built environment anyway, it might be possible to improve it. We should judge any change on its own merits, not a knee jerk reaction to change.

Lately I've had the habit of eating fruit when walking down the street. So in 30 years time if Sheffield is full of apple and cherry trees it's not my fault.

Lately I've had the habit of eating fruit when walking down the street. So in 30 years time if Sheffield is full of apple and cherry trees it's not my fault.

:hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why is it that the trees are all up rooted and destroyed when surely its possible to work around them?.

or is that too much trouble for the contractors?, would anyone protest at the planning meeting about them?.

or is it about the money (again). the rev of Sheffield cathedral seems very interested in the worldly goods.

You Occupy Sheffield lot just cant help having a dig at the Cathedral and the Dean of Sheffield can you ? Even weeks after the OS Squatters have been booted off Cathedral land , the sly digs just keep on coming.

You Occupy Sheffield lot just cant help having a dig at the Cathedral and the Dean of Sheffield can you ? Even weeks after the OS Squatters have been booted off Cathedral land , the sly digs just keep on coming.

I see nothing sly in bringing matters that may be of concern to Sheffielders up on a Sheffield forum. I thought a 'sly' act would be to do something in the hope that people would not realise.

I see nothing sly in bringing matters that may be of concern to Sheffielders up on a Sheffield forum. I thought a 'sly' act would be to do something in the hope that people would not realise.

There could be many reasons why the trees had to be removed. Their roots could be damaging the pavement , they could be unsafe ,etc . A survey of works would have been carried out prior to the contractors moving on site ,so removing the trees isnt a knee jerk reaction just to upset Occupy Sheffield supporters ( even though they like to think so ). The comment about it all being about money is a typical OS style response towards the cathedral and the Dean ,and one we saw many ,many times during the Ghost camp squat a few months ago.

There is a bit of a personal dig in the OP's post...

Have you thought about asking someone on the planning committee, you are more likely to get a truthful answer from them or is your aim just to have another dig at the cathedral/dean.