IMPORTANT NEWS...

As previously warned, Sheffield Forum is changing to new software - view the preview here

This is scheduled for Sunday 18th Nov. The forum will be closed and unavailable an extended period of time (24-36 hours) to allow for this major transition.

Please note that some private messages will not be transferred. Therefore we strongly urge you to take manual back-ups of any important messages now.
Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Old broomhall flats

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

24-06-2012, 12:17   #161
shefftenner

Total Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsteve View Post
I lived on Victoria St from 77 to 81 and went to 'Springfield School' all my friends lived on the flats. I remember the 'Harrisons' and 'Wayne and Darren Wests' i used to knock about with 'Steven Dodds' (Doddsy) during the Mod revival and play on the adventure playgound.
Also hung round with 'Darren Wrigly'
I remember the 'Kemps' and 'Alan Bulby' he had a chopper bike like mine and we used to ride round the flats together.
The flats were rough but a great place to play as a kid when it rained. I remember pressing the lift button so it 'bounced' at ground and went back up.
Also watching the 'prossies' on havalock sq and counting 'jonnies' we could find.
ahh happy days
I lived 2 doors from Dodsy,happy days on the flats with the Gary,stve,martin westons,darren B,Potsy and Gav playing cricket and footy non stop,delavio? bombing andshining sun hro a mirror on the hills for a laugh always got a good kickin tho! hated movin up crookes in 82
05-06-2013, 14:33   #162
hansleybeard

Total Posts: 12
Hi

OUR Broomhall:
We have recently started a new community history project about the history of Broomhall area and its people. We will be creating a new book, exhibition and book about the area and it would be great if any of you with memories or old photos of the area could get involved. We will be looking to interview people to create short clips for our website etc or you can attend our Wednesday afternoons drop-in from 2-5pm at the Broomhall Centre on Broomspring Lane. Or contact me below if you have a story to share or a photo to contribute. Our launch event is this Saturday at the Broomhall Centre from 3-8pm - all welcome!

Jennie Beard
Project Manager
Our Broomhall

The Broomhall Centre
Broomspring Lane
Broomhall
Sheffield
S10 2FD

Email: ourbroomhall@gmail.com
Tel: 07810162146
05-06-2013, 15:20   #163
Bypassblade

Total Posts: 13,270
I lived on Broomhall flats in early 70's; 1 high Monmouth, we always said it was haunted. When I started work I had to go back and was told; when I mentioned where I used to live, that the previous tenant was found dead in there a few weeks after the event.
15-09-2013, 23:53   #164
dynamicdebz

Total Posts: 1,201
Send a message via Yahoo to dynamicdebz
Quote:
Originally Posted by shefftenner View Post
I lived 2 doors from Dodsy,happy days on the flats with the Gary,stve,martin westons,darren B,Potsy and Gav playing cricket and footy non stop,delavio? bombing andshining sun hro a mirror on the hills for a laugh always got a good kickin tho! hated movin up crookes in 82
Gary, Steven & Martin are my cousins.
_______
“Woman was made from man; not out of his head to top him, nor out of his feet to be trampled underfoot; but out of his side to be equal to him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be loved”
16-09-2013, 22:48   #165
sharrowyank

Total Posts: 100
I used to live at 25 High Wellington. I was a witness to the accident when the top floor of the prefab above the shops accross from the Domino collapsed. Saw a man just vanish as the slab slipped and then saw another man running and screaming. I went round to see what had happened and saw a flatbed lorry dripping more blood than I had ever seen.Evidently it hit some poor guy who was on it. The star reporter was there and asked if anyone had seen anything. I had my photo on the front page of that afternoons edition.(still have it) .Went to work that evening and my workmates saw the heading man killed and my photo along side and they thougt it was me.Lived on the flats many years,loved the chippy and the Domino,and a sunday drink in the Washington. It was my last Sheffield address before I moved to LA.
24-05-2015, 11:41   #166
Lisacoxy1975

Total Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharrowyank View Post
I used to live at 25 High Wellington. I was a witness to the accident when the top floor of the prefab above the shops accross from the Domino collapsed. Saw a man just vanish as the slab slipped and then saw another man running and screaming. I went round to see what had happened and saw a flatbed lorry dripping more blood than I had ever seen.Evidently it hit some poor guy who was on it. The star reporter was there and asked if anyone had seen anything. I had my photo on the front page of that afternoons edition.(still have it) .Went to work that evening and my workmates saw the heading man killed and my photo along side and they thougt it was me.Lived on the flats many years,loved the chippy and the Domino,and a sunday drink in the Washington. It was my last Sheffield address before I moved to LA.

Did u know my dad John Cox
26-05-2015, 19:28   #167
sheilawragg1

Total Posts: 161
there was a Broomhall reunion Sunday 24th it was a great show, if any of you are interested in events like this look on the Hanover page on facebook
28-05-2015, 01:05   #168
sharrowyank

Total Posts: 100
Hi Lisacoxy1975
I just sent you a private message. Get back to me.
sharrowyank
09-03-2016, 13:22   #169
theimposter

Total Posts: 566
Does anyone know what year the Domino shut? I understand it outlived the flats and struggled on until the late 90s?
29-01-2017, 13:09   #170
RTBU

Total Posts: 2
I'm sure I remember Martin Weston from st Silas school. Little fir his age if I remember correctly,such a fast runner I remember him being lol. I lived on broomhall flats,egerton row(spelt wrong I think). Does anyone remember the Salvation Army that used to play? Heheee always used to run down to stand with them/get a little Jesus card.

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 12:24 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamicdebz View Post
I remember Broomhall flats. I lived there from 1969 to 1979 from the age of 2 to 12. To me it was a giant playground. While the structure wasn't much to be desired, in between each square block of flats was somewhere where your imagination could run wild. Like the big wooden climbing frame in the middle (was this supposed to be a map of the flats?). We had such adventures as kids. I went to St Silas school & know all the families mentioned Hills, Masses, Kemptons & many more. We were the first family to occupy our flat on High Monmouth. If anyone remembers me or my family our surname is Hancock. Most may remember my older brother nicknamed Hank. We were famous on the flats for our vicious black & white collie dog.
ahhh now I remember the hills,not so long ago was in contact with Mary. Don't remember your collie dog I don't think,but remember the dog Rex that got put down by the police.

---------- Post added 29-01-2017 at 12:25 ----------

Anyone remember the Alsatian dog Rex from broomhall flats?

Last edited by RTBU; 29-01-2017 at 13:12.
30-01-2017, 20:20   #171
cleegirl

Total Posts: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypassblade View Post
I lived on Broomhall flats in early 70's; 1 high Monmouth, we always said it was haunted. When I started work I had to go back and was told; when I mentioned where I used to live, that the previous tenant was found dead in there a few weeks after the event.
hi i also lived a 1 high monmouth around 1984 only for a short time i must admit but can tsay i felt any presence there having said that i had 4 young children maybe it did a runner when i moved in xxx
22-10-2018, 15:26   #172
Wensley1

Total Posts: 20
Hi purplecat. Just come across your post. I too lived on high Cavendish. 4th floor. It was my first home after getting married in 1969.

Good and bad memories. I was secretary of tenants association in 1970s. We held a "disco night" at Springfield school one night. The chairman brought his "radiogram" and the rest of the committee brought records. Nobody turned up. Happy days!!! Would I do it again? Probably.
22-10-2018, 15:50   #173
soad

Total Posts: 336
I was born at Broomhall flats in 1972 and lived on the 4th floor,we moved to Pitsmoor in 1976. I don't have many memories of the place but i do remember the wooden fort/climbing frame in the middle and it had a smell of dried pee also remember the adventure playground. Good memories to be fair.
I had 2 Brothers Mark and Darren and 2 sisters Dawn and Tracey.
Reply To Topic