What is equality to you?

Vaati

The bickering and insults can cease. You were warned by another mod only a few hours ago. Any further and accounts will be suspended.

Message added by Vaati

I aree, but why is it these women only seem to complain when they have made it to the top, and not on the way up ?

Probably because complaining while on the way up would prevent them from moving any further up.

On the subject of equality.

"SAS: Women allowed to join for first time"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45983882

By the way, I'm not sure if anyone has actually mentioned this yet but positive discrimination is not giving a person from an unrepresented minority a job regardless of merit.

Positive discrimination is where two (or more) candidates are equally qualified to do a job, and you appoint the person from the underrepresented minority to redress the balance across the workforce.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

By the way, I'm not sure if anyone has actually mentioned this yet but positive discrimination is not giving a person from an unrepresented minority a job regardless of merit.

Positive discrimination is where two (or more) candidates are equally qualified to do a job, and you appoint the person from the underrepresented minority to redress the balance across the workforce.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Positive discrimination is generally unlawful in the UK. For example, an employer recruiting a person because he or she has a relevant protected characteristic rather than because he or she is the best candidate would be committing discrimination under the Equality Act 2010. It is also unlawful to set quotas to recruit or promote a specific number or proportion of people with a particular protected characteristic.

https://www.personneltoday.com/equality-diversity/discrimination/positive-discrimination-discrimination/

Positive discrimination is exactly 'giving a person from an unrepresented minority a job regardless of merit'. It's illegal.

Your definition of positive discrimination is actually positive action and is lawful in some circumstances.

https://www.xperthr.co.uk/faq/what-positive-action-is-permitted-under-discrimination-legislation/103008/

Edited by the_bloke

Have a look at positive action, that's legal and is pretty much what TCH describes.

Edit

Just saw that in your post

I think we discussed in this thread unconscious bias and why positive action is sometimes necessary.

Some people disputed the idea, disputed that privilege existed for simply being white or male.

Have a look at this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46143909

The new chairwoman of the Parole Board has said it is a "significant concern" that none of its 240 members is black.

Caroline Corby said just 13 members of the board, which decides the release of the most serious offenders in England and Wales, were from an ethnic minority.

She said "unconscious bias" had affected recruitment for the board.

A campaign to recruit 100 Parole Board members in 2016 and 2017 tried to address the shortfall, she said, but it had not attracted enough ethnic minority candidates and a disproportionate number of those who did apply failed to get through the selection procedures. A new recruitment drive is being launched next year.

It doesn't say, but I wonder how many of that board are female, I'd be surprised if it's a 50/50 male/female split.

Edited by Cyclone

It doesn't say, but I wonder how many of that board are female, I'd be surprised if it's a 50/50 male/female split.

Men and women have different interests, so a 50/50 split would be ridiculous.

Well, that's an interesting justification.

Only 33% of women are interested in Football, do you think that football reporting and refereeing should be split 50/50?

Guest makapaka

It's borne out of some truth though isn't it.

Men and women don't always want to do the same jobs do they?

It's borne out of some truth though isn't it.

Men and women don't always want to do the same jobs do they?

Quite right - the department my wife works in has 1 male member of staff amongst 13 women.He was new 2 years ago.

Some of the women in the office have been in the role for 25 years+ and this guy is the first to even apply let alone pass the tests for touch typing and audio typing.

Well, maybe all the imbalances can be explained away so easily then.

My department has very few coloured people in it, perhaps they're just not interested...

Not all explained away but there are some jobs that some people wouldn't have done previously but these days with the positive momentum it won't be because of sex or colour but because of choice.

If people don't apply for jobs how can anyone claim inequality all the time.

In the grand scheme of things it is far better to have a wide and varied mix within organisations with different views and opinions it just can't be manufactured to be like that.

Edited by willman