The Sheffield gay scene part 2

Thats as may be ... but at least the "existing customer base" now has a choice....

Pay a club entrance fee and buy reasonably priced drinks to be insulted by "some" complacent long-serving staff who could seriously do with customer relations training

or

Pay no entrance and a bit more for drinks to be served by new polite staff grateful to have a job

Pays ya money takes ya choices :hihi:

Will be interesting to see what the next bar offerings are like ...

If you go in Dempseys before 9 it is free? I bet you cant find many bar staff in Sheffield that have been at one bar for 15 ish years, as an employer they must be doing something to get such longevity from staff!

I bet you cant find many bar staff in Sheffield that have been at one bar for 15 ish years,

And it shows how complacent they have got having had the monopoly for so long :(

---------- Post added 08-08-2018 at 11:43 ----------

So now I am now hearing that QJ prices are grossly exploitative and expensive and that its mainly geared to young gay men with disposable money, Dempseys continues as always to be just basic and occasionally rude, what on earth can the proposed third offering bring us ... maybe something decent finally ?

Edited by GinTreeS7

Cheapest Beer at QJ is £3.60, which is nightclub price really. I think they're still assuming queer folk are wealthy because they 'don't have kids' B-). I drop in on a Saturday afternoon, but I can't afford a session there. Maybe if I dance more than drink.....

Here's hoping the next venue is a pub type place with an alt rock flavour.

A pint of Fosters is £3.60, but half a pint is £2.50. How can they justify charging that for half a pint?

A pint of Fosters is £3.60, but half a pint is £2.50. How can they justify charging that for half a pint?

They'll do it for as long as people are willing to pay it, that's capitalism.

Supermarkets have done it for years. Buy 1 for £3.00 or buy 2 for £4.00. Though you wouldn't be allowed to do this under Scottish licencing as encouraging people to drink more by discounting by volume is illegal.

£3.60 for a pint is higher than my local, but in town that's about what The Red Deer charges for a pint.

Went in this afternoon. £7 odd for a pint and a half. At least say it's better value to buy a pint when charging over the odds for a half. Someone is having a laff.

Edited by Pingu200

So a few weeks in .. whats the general verdict on QJ? And also does it open later than Dempseys in the day?

Also, I have heard a rumour that the whole Sheffield Pride committee has now resigned :o ?

...so who is going to take over the running of Pride next year, or will there even be one ? If not that would be a real tragedy, we sill need Prides even in this day and age :rolleyes:

They'll do it for as long as people are willing to pay it, that's capitalism.

It sure is. Especially when every gay bar (except dumpseys) goes out of business after a very short time. Guess people arent willing to pay it. Now that is capitalism. Charge too much, no one goes, shutdown. Until the next idiot tries the same thing again.

Edited by avalunche

I do think finally that things are changing for the better in Sheffield and it may soon have a gay scene comparable with other big cities in the region...see here:

http://www.thegayquarter.co.uk/who-we-are

There are some more bars, and even a Sauna! soon in the offing ...

I think its something to do with the conversion of the whole block that Dempseys is situated in. I'm not sure if the owner of Dempseys owns the whole block also but they seem to be working with and not against the new bar, Queer Junction.

It also seems to be boosting local jobs and no doubt trade also when they are all open ...

Bar person or sauna attendent anyone?

http://www.thegayquarter.co.uk/take-action

Also I believe that a certain local drag celebrity :hihi:is starting up her own DJ night this Thursday in the Three Cranes ... so lots happening on the Sheffield Scene at the moment :D

I do think finally that things are changing for the better in Sheffield and it may soon have a gay scene comparable with other big cities in the region...see here:

http://www.thegayquarter.co.uk/who-we-are

There are some more bars, and even a Sauna! soon in the offing ...

I'm looking forward to the next bar/venue whatever it turns out to be. Hoping for something a little off the usual 'gay' venue radar.