Lowedges gigantic festival sun aug 10th 2014

Well where can I start 1st thank you to all on here who have supported basset one & the festival , there are two people who plus a few helpers , all of whom do this free of charge to bring people together & run a festival that costs nothing to enter & has lots of free to do things, Sheffield Council give nothing, we never have or will have a beer tent & it takes these people a yr to arrange. What do you think they felt like when hurricane Bertha came along uninvited , classic cars of which there was over 150 booked in don't come out in the rain, stall holders can have a choice to come or not depending on what they sell , can you really expect book or card or craft stalls to stand in a hurricane, they lost out as well , everyone was very disappointed in some way but it went a head & we would like to thank all those who did turn out in such dreadful conditions. Hopefully the sun will shine down next year & the show will be back , oh and by the way if you are wondering I am mrs basset and I know all the hard work that went in to arranging the festival by these guys, so you know who to be in touch with to come and be a volunteer at next yrs show :smile::smile::banana:

I don't think that is the case at all. The council certainly put a large amount of cash towards this event because it was in a deprived area. Many of the rides were billed as free because the council had paid for them to be so. So when you turn up and there is virtually nothing there you start to wonder.

Similarly with the stalls. If someone is to provide a beer tent thatis all well and good. They don't want to arrive to find 6 other beer tents, so if they are given an exclusive deal then it should be necessary for them to turn up regardless of the weather.

Perhaps if the event is held next year the organisers need to ensure that folk who are there to provide a service are required to turn up and provide it. Otherwise they should book duplicates to ensure that there is something for the spectators who took the time, trouble and expense to attend.

From the sounds of it, you owe the organiser of the festival an apology because all of your claims seem to be false.

hope we can now put this all to bed,start again in jan and hopefully the people who thought the council paid for this event realise they don't put in any money,thus they don't have any,ask the parks dept,or councillors we don't lie,they used to provide 3 helpers in 2009 and 2010,then 1 helper in 2011 and a skip,now they say they cannot afford a skip so we had to pay £190 for one this year,they may give other events in other areas money but not us,but we did our best and it was disappointing for everyone,but that's festivals,thanks for your support and lets move on thank you

I'd like to add, we were there last year and were due to attend again this. Unfortunately a combination of poorly child and even more sick van meant that we couldn't get. I have every confidence that the ground would have held well despite the weather and we would have still been able to do "our thang" and would have provided entertainment for those there. This event is, by far, the BEST we have ever been asked to attend, so much to see in a relatively small area. So so sorry for letting you down Stephen, I sincerely hope that your event (can't be organized by many as you were the only person in contact with me and who knew exactly where we were to be) comes back in 2015 bigger and better.